• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

motor mounts and oil pans

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a D-sump with the stick in it laying in the barn.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I bet he will take it off your hands for the right price.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a D-sump with the stick in it laying in the barn.
I bet he will take it off your hands for the right price.
if i dont need the pan with the stick in it i dont want it. and if the cougar has what i need im not buyin another...?
im havin a hard time gettin a hold of the guy with the cougar

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
and if the cougar has what i need im not buyin another...?
im havin a hard time gettin a hold of the guy with the cougar
Then pass on it. The 84 Cougar 5.0 is nothing special anyway. And the oilpans are a dime a dozen. The blocks that year are thin, cranks are weak,heads have huge 70 cc chambers.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'd find one out of a different vehicle if the Cougar blocks suck. I'd get onto some cougar forums and ask around about the engines in them and find out what's the best ones to use and if they even run the original engines.

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Modified Dual Sump Oil Pan

Out of a mid-80's Crown Vic. The Crown Vic had the dipstick in the block. It had the low oil level sensor in the pan. I wanted both in the oil pan! The dipstick adapter that I installed into the pan came out of my '83 Econoline donor's rear sump oil pan. The 2.3L had the low oil level sensor, so the wiring already existed.
I modified the pan - this is my finished product.

If you can't find what you want, make it happen!

Last edited:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then pass on it. The 84 Cougar 5.0 is nothing special anyway. And the oilpans are a dime a dozen. The blocks that year are thin, cranks are weak,heads have huge 70 cc chambers.
im lookin for the 59cc ones arent i? my dad would like me to do a boss 302 replica. im willing to accept suggestions, as what i do with the motor isn't set in stone, but i'd like to make the best power and economy for my buck. i dont see why expecting better milage ios unreasonable? the f150's get better milage with more power and weight than a ranger so, if i get 22-25mpg i'd be content. in otherwords, i dont want a crazy cam, enough to make lots of power but not so lumpy its gotta scream to see and oomph

Out of a mid-80's Crown Vic. The Crown Vic had the dipstick in the block. It had the low oil level sensor in the pan. I wanted both in the oil pan! The dipstick adapter that I installed into the pan came out of my '83 Econoline donor's rear sump oil pan. The 2.3L had the low oil level sensor, so the wiring already existed.
I modified the pan - this is my finished product.

If you can't find what you want, make it happen!
wikked. i believe i saw this before, when you first did it. curious, is the 2.3 low oil sensor the same as the 2.9's? perhaps i could still have a "check oil" light...

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you're looking for power and economy, then a 96-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 is what you want. Or a 94-97 5.0 from an E or F series van or truck. Both used the same roller cam. I'm running the same cam in my 89's 5.0. Pulls smoothly from idle to 5500, great mileage too even being fed with a carb on a high rise aluminum intake. The cam is just a tad below the HO roller in specs, bolt on a set of Cobra 1.7 roller rockers and it matches the HO's lift on the intake, beats it on the exhaust. As for a Boss 302, that's the last thing you'd want to build, wanting fuel economy.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're looking for power and economy, then a 96-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 is what you want. Or a 94-97 5.0 from an E or F series van or truck. Both used the same roller cam. I'm running the same cam in my 89's 5.0. Pulls smoothly from idle to 5500, great mileage too even being fed with a carb on a high rise aluminum intake. The cam is just a tad below the HO roller in specs, bolt on a set of Cobra 1.7 roller rockers and it matches the HO's lift on the intake, beats it on the exhaust. As for a Boss 302, that's the last thing you'd want to build, wanting fuel economy.
i spose. but would i run into problems switchin from 5.0 to carbed?
and GOOD FREAKIN LUCK FINDIN AN exploder 5.0 or mountainerr. i know teh guy whose got em all, and he aint partin with em. he's biulding fox body mustang race engines. he runs a sweet 650 horse on PUMP GAS 302 NO NOSS OR BOOST!!!! hes crazy and i think french. amazing engine builder tho

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Low Oil Level Sensor

...Is the 2.3 low oil sensor the same as the 2.9's? perhaps i could still have a "check oil" light...
Yep! They're all pretty much the same. Wire it into the harness as per the wiring diagram.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i spose. but would i run into problems switchin from 5.0 to carbed?
and GOOD FREAKIN LUCK FINDIN AN exploder 5.0 or mountainerr. i know teh guy whose got em all, and he aint partin with em. he's biulding fox body mustang race engines. he runs a sweet 650 horse on PUMP GAS 302 NO NOSS OR BOOST!!!! hes crazy and i think french. amazing engine builder tho
There's nothing special about bolting a carb onto an Explorer 5.0. Just swap the intake and pull the cam position sensor stub out of the distributor hole. Replace with a steel geared distributor and the intake and carb of choice. If you can't find one, then go with a 5.0 from a 94-97 truck or van. Everything's the same cept for the heads. Those can be ported to equal the GT40 heads.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's nothing special about bolting a carb onto an Explorer 5.0. Just swap the intake and pull the cam position sensor stub out of the distributor hole. Replace with a steel geared distributor and the intake and carb of choice. If you can't find one, then go with a 5.0 from a 94-97 truck or van. Everything's the same cept for the heads. Those can be ported to equal the GT40 heads.
i could probably find one of those. what distributers would work? any 302 dizzy? like if i bought a new one?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i could probably find one of those. what distributers would work? any 302 dizzy? like if i bought a new one?
Any SBF distributor that's got a steel cam gear. I've used the old points distributors (2 of em) fitted with the Pertronix I & II plus a Crane XR-1. I swapped the cam gear on both myself. In a Duraspark, there's only one choice if you don't want to do a gear swap..........the 1985 Mustang 5.0 HO with a manual transmission. You can buy these in a reman unit at most parts houses for about $50-60 with a good core to exchange (doesn't have to be a Duraspark unit either)

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any SBF distributor that's got a steel cam gear. I've used the old points distributors (2 of em) fitted with the Pertronix I & II plus a Crane XR-1. I swapped the cam gear on both myself. In a Duraspark, there's only one choice if you don't want to do a gear swap..........the 1985 Mustang 5.0 HO with a manual transmission. You can buy these in a reman unit at most parts houses for about $50-60 with a good core to exchange (doesn't have to be a Duraspark unit either)
note taken.
thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals