• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motor in frame... Milestone reached

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well after a long time in the making yesterday morning we set the motor on the frame. I know there is still a long way to go but it sure feels good getting this far. I know I should have put the new WARN manual hubs on to spruce it up a bit but I don't want them to get damaged while moving stuff around the shop. Was going to install transmission today but discovered yesterday that the slave is a no go so I will have to wait a week or so for the new one to get here. Anyhow got many months into this so far so what do you guys think? (Dangerous question I know.)

On those rear wheels. I found that the centers have rusted and the chrome has flaked off of them. Was thinking about painting up the old automatics and sticking them on the back for center caps. Haven't decided if that's a good idea or not. The old automatics are both shot internally.

I know... One of these days I should actually start a build thread. So much work has gone has been done so far the list would be very long.

Still have some vacuum lines to connect and I forgot to put the left back spark plug wire back on that I had to take loose so that the strap I used to keep the motor from flipping while it was attached to the hoist could be connected. I have a piece off the motor that for the life of me I can't figure out where it came from.(some kind of small bracket) I'll have to shoot a pic and let one of you tell me where it goes.

Anyone see anything that I need to take care of before proceeding?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Clean it up a little, jeesh! [jk]

You have spent a lot of time detailing, it looks good.

Richard

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good - congrats. I LOL'd about the bracket. I've got a one time use rod-cap bolt from my 911 engine I re-built about 30 years ago.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OMG !!! it looks BETTER than mine, (Did I actually say that, I must be drunk or something, and I don't even drink !!)

lookin GREAT, love the detail.

Greg

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i fixed the typo in your thread title, it was bugging me. truck's looking good though!

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the compliments guys. My family thinks I am crazy for putting so much effort into an old truck. They just don't understand.

And special thanks Kunar that title typo was bugging me too.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...One of these days I should actually start a build thread........Anyone see anything that I need to take care of before proceeding?
Looks good & start a build thread-

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
the only thing with putting the auto hubs on the rear for center caps is that (1) you will need longer wheel studs, and (2) you will have to machine out the inside of the auto hubs so they will fit over the rear axle flange. ive thought about doing it myself, but wasnt sure if my old front rotor studs would work in the rear. and hand-maching out the inside of the old auto hubs is quite a pain to do, if you had a lathe it wouldnt be too bad to do though..
the chassis looks really good!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks good...sorta what mine looked like about 8 years ago...except that huge blue and yellow thing at the front...what's that for? Are you planning to go to the moon? I can almost hear "Rocket Man" playing in the background...:)

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Nice, the front views of the engine is really neat. From the side the 4.0 looks small. I've been thinking about narrow whitewalls, black reverse steelies with baby moons for my wheels
The Rat will never see such treatment. It introduced me to the make though . If I ever build a hotrod, it will be on a Ranger frame.

Last edited:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Those rims are from Darwin Racing. I bought them here in Panama for about $100 each. The lug nuts were another $100 and the Toyo Open Country tires were I think $135 each. Anyhow after grinding on them for a while I managed to get them down to $1000 even including taxes. Even conned them out of a free balancing and alignment.

www.gawheel.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals