• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motor ideas

2.3 to ??? swap

• Fresh 2.3 (carbed like currently)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 2.3 injected

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2.3 turbo

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 2.9 (with m5od and 1354)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 4bt

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, I think I've done it, and killed the motor on the Fordzuki. It's an 83 2.3 out of a ranger, on a TK 4 speed. So I'm looking at options on a swap, and while just replacing the 2.3 with another 2.3 would be sufficient, There may be other options worth looking into. The current motor, up untill last weekend, had plenty of power to scoot a 1500 lb rig around the trails. So what do you think would be the best swap? The good things about the 2.9 swap would be fuel injection, more than enough hp and torque, plus the five speed (only have 4 now), and a 1350 or 1354 Tcase to put in front of the already low samurai transfercase, bringing my overall crawl to around 226:1. :D

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
4cyl is easier on the fuel bill

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I voted for the 2.9, m5od, and 1354. 226:1 crawl, yeah!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A fresh fuel injected 2.3 would be just fine. Good mileage and reliability. Plenty of parts and aftermarket support. Easy to find in a J-yard.

2.9's are ok if you get the improved heads.

A 2.3 turbo isn't that great for an off-road vehicle. It spools at higher rpm. Crawling would make it useless. Maybe a Pre-runner or street truck. Plus, cold water and hot turbo=bad.

A Diesel would be ok, but do ya really need it with all that gearing. It'd be the most intensive and costly in my opinion.

Last edited:

ScreeminDeemin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
me thinks a fuelie 2.3 would be awesome and you could still go with a 5-speed and 1354

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
A fresh fuel injected 2.3 would be just fine. Good mileage and reliability. Plenty of parts and aftermarket support. Easy to find in a J-yard.

2.9's are ok if you get the improved heads.

A 2.3 turbo isn't that great for an off-road vehicle. It spools at higher rpm. Crawling would make it useless. Maybe a Pre-runner or street truck. Plus, cold water and hot turbo=bad.

A Diesel would be ok, but do ya really need it with all that gearing. It'd be the most intensive and costly in my opinion.
The fi 2.3 is looking like a good idea.

The 2.9 idea might happen if I can find a 5.0 to drop in my dads ranger, and yank the 2.9 from that.

That's where gears come in. Even now with near 100:1 final crawl, I overrev 1st just touching the gas, so it should be very easy to keep a turbo motor in its peak rpm range. If I add a bw tcase, I'll be spooling it up in 5th crawling. :icon_twisted:
And as far as the cold water + hot turbo, that's the reason I'm looking into a swap, is cold water + hot engine + leaking fuelpump blockoff plate =

So needless to say, the mudhole days are over for this rig, looks like I'll have to build a dedicated mud rig next.:beer:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's not just that, I think a turbo is a lot of matainance for off-roading. Cool down cycles with the engine running, extra parts to maintain, expensive parts, etc. A supercharger would be better.

I just feel that a simple NA 2.3 would do very well with that crawl ratio. I'd think that you'd actually notice a difference between a carb 2.3 and SFI 2.3.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with the NA 2.3 EFI. You have a light enough rig that it should do just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals