• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Most reliable Ranger configuration?

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
My Chevy 4.3 is seeming a heck of a lot better after reading this thread. ?

Looks like we've narrowed it down to the 3.0 and 2.3.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have had rear disk brakes on my dd since 2003 and my Ranger since 2011. Not sure what extra maintenance is required compared to a 4 liter time bomb.

Heck, mom's '02 Explorer had both and the 4.0 blew up before they had any rear brake issues.
Part of my issues maybe exacerbated by the fact that I deploy and the truck sits for months at a time. A vehicle being driven regularly probably goes a long way toward preventing that. This coming rotor and pad change will be the second since the truck was new. Something I didn’t have to do with my drum brake equipped vehicles until they were 12 or so years old.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My Chevy 4.3 is seeming a heck of a lot better after reading this thread. ?

Looks like we've narrowed it down to the 3.0 and 2.3.
You'll be happier with the 3.0. Its still weak compared to a 4.3 but not nearly like a 2.3 would be.

Did you consider what i said about a 4.9L F150?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Part of my issues maybe exacerbated by the fact that I deploy and the truck sits for months at a time. A vehicle being driven regularly probably goes a long way toward preventing that. This coming rotor and pad change will be the second since the truck was new. Something I didn’t have to do with my drum brake equipped vehicles until they were 12 or so years old.
I usually get about 50k out of a set of pads and 100k out of a set of rotors.

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
You'll be happier with the 3.0. Its still weak compared to a 4.3 but not nearly like a 2.3 would be.

Did you consider what i said about a 4.9L F150?
Yeah, I'd love a nice OBS Ford with either a 4.9, 5.0, or 5.8. Problem is, can't find decent ones around here in my price range. They're all beat to shit and ate up with rust.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah, I'd love a nice OBS Ford with either a 4.9, 5.0, or 5.8. Problem is, can't find decent ones around here in my price range. They're all beat to shit and ate up with rust.
Rust is a killer for sure. But keep in mind that rangers are just as, if not more prone to it. Plus the pre 97 ford fullsizes usually dont seem to catch it in cruicial areas.

The 2.3 dtec has more power than the 3.0...
Wasnt aware of that.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
3700 for an 01 seems pretty steep.... Not sure what pricing is around you but one like that should be around the 2-2500 dollar mark at best. I have the 3.0 and it is fine. Plenty of power to pull a decent sized trailer and mine has been pretty reliable lately. Main culprit on the 3.0's are the camshaft synchronizer. It's not too bad to replace. I did mine on my lunch break plus a few other odds and ends that needed touched up under the hood and the part was only around $100 or so. Gas mileage sucks on a 3.0 automatic (I get 17 on good days). Not sure about the 2.3 duratec. I had the 2.3 in a 96 and it got killer gas mileage. When that truck was my mom's she would put around and never break speed limits and she could get 500 miles on a full tank (20 gallons) which is really good for an extended cab truck. It had the 5 speed too.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
3700 for an 01 seems pretty steep.... Not sure what pricing is around you but one like that should be around the 2-2500 dollar mark at best. I have the 3.0 and it is fine. Plenty of power to pull a decent sized trailer and mine has been pretty reliable lately. Main culprit on the 3.0's are the camshaft synchronizer. It's not too bad to replace. I did mine on my lunch break plus a few other odds and ends that needed touched up under the hood and the part was only around $100 or so. Gas mileage sucks on a 3.0 automatic (I get 17 on good days). Not sure about the 2.3 duratec. I had the 2.3 in a 96 and it got killer gas mileage. When that truck was my mom's she would put around and never break speed limits and she could get 500 miles on a full tank (20 gallons) which is really good for an extended cab truck. It had the 5 speed too.
I get about 27-30 MPG in my '02 Duratec. It all depends on where I drive... I can go a full tank and never hit the freeway once.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I usually get about 50k out of a set of pads and 100k out of a set of rotors.
Yeah, I’m getting no where near that, even with biannual inspections, cleaning, and lube.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The timing chain cassette problems with the 4.0 SOHC were starting to taper off by 03 but they're no picnic to fix if they fail. I'd rather possibly deal with the cassettes once than deal with the extra maintenance every year to keep the rear disc brakes functional. An 03 also does not have traction control, another plus. The Germans caused the timing cassette problem when they decided to convert the 4.0 ohv to sohc, they didn't want to have 2 mirror image cylinder head castings that would have allowed both chains to be in the front- or even both cams driven by a single chain. They stuck a balance shaft where the cam used to live and drove it by a chain from the crank, drove the left cam off the front of the balance shaft, drove the right cam off the rear shaft, and then added a 4th chain to drive the oil pump off the crank. Typical Rube Goldberg/German engineering-overcomplicated and unnecessary. They had finally fixed all the oil leak problems they had built into the 4.0 ohv by using cheap gaskets, I can't believe they couldn't have increased the power while staying ohv cheaper and simpler with a little more compression and a little better breathing. Cheap and simple are foreign concepts to the Germans. A perfect example of cheap and simple would be the 300 six.
A couple of corrections on that. While some (not all) 4.0 SOHC's do have a balance shaft, it is not where the camshaft would be on a 4.0 OHV. It is mounted on the bottom of the engine below the crank and is spun by a chain directly off of the crankshaft. All 4.0 SOHC's do have a jackshaft where the camshaft was on an OHV engine. The jackshaft is turned by the crank and it then turns the two cams, one from the front (driver's side), the other from the back (passenger's side). The oil pump is driven off of a dummy distributor housing that the pump shaft inserts into (this) which the jackshaft turns. It does not run off of the crankshaft.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've seen many sohc's apart as a former service manager but never taken one apart myself, my point was that the engine is unnecessarily complicated, that isn't debatable, it's a fact. As I said,I would prefer to have a 4.0 sohc rather than a truck with rear disc brakes and traction control, I bought 2 new Rangers with SOHC's because the 3.0 was just too underpowered. As a rule the 3.0 never gave us much trouble, it's just doggy in hilly country. My 04 Ranger had rear drums, every spring I would remove the drums for inspection, dump out the dust and put them back on. My 11 had rear disc and every year I'd have to completely disassemble the rear brakes, scrape/grind/file the rust off the slides, and lube everything to keep them from freezing up. They didn't like road salt any better than I do. ABS is dangerous on snow covered roads, traction control is just useless.

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
I miss the days when I was able to get by without a truck. Good reliable cars that you can easily drive for 7 more years can be found for $3,000 pretty much everywhere. Looking for a truck that meets the same standard for $5k is like searching for a needle in a haystack for sure.

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
IMG_20191106_061531.jpg

I ended up buying this. She's got some miles (170k) on her, but is in very nice shape. All optioned out, it's a cowboy Cadillac compared to the Rangers I looked at. Very luxurious for the year. 5.3l v8, push button 4x4, leather, heated seats, all that jazz. I'll probably keep the 93 c1500 for work and drive this as a personal vehicle. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals