• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Moses Lake Sand Dunes

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My cousin, our friend, and I went over to the Moses Lake sand dunes here in Washington this weekend.
It has been 3 or 4 years since I was there last (also the first time riding in the dunes), so it took a little while to relearn sand riding.
I couldn't pass up the opportunity to rally the Ranger a bit either, and damn was it fun!!!
All in all it was a blast of a weekend!

Here's a couple pics from the weekend, not many, but I think they are cool. We saw a big ass Jeep out there too! I think it was on D60 with probably 50"+ tires.
I have the CR125, my cousin has the CRF150, and our friend has the XR250.

On the second to last picture of my Ranger, I think the wheel being so far up and back is kind of an illusion. I must have hit a bump while turning to get it in that position.
The jumping isn't the best, but we were having a blast! I need to get a better camera though. Back when I got it, it was a fairly good camera( 600 bucks I think), but that was probably 7 or 8 years ago or more.

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Haha, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that picture. "Wow, that wheel looks back in the wheelwell."

Looks like you guys had fun. :icon_thumby:

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I bet that 150 and 200 had a tough time in the sand (although that sand looks pretty packed compared to the oregon dunes). I know my WR450F uses every ounce of power it has in the dunes.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah from what I've heard, the sand is different, as well as the dune size. The Oregon dunes are WAY taller, from what I remember (I was there probably 10 years ago, but we just went on one of the "tour" bus/ buggy things.
The 150 did fine, probably because my cousin only weighs like 130 lbs but he did say he wishes it had a little more power. He wants to do the 175 borekit from my work. The 250 actually did pretty well too!

My bike quite running on Saturday evening, so I tor it apart yesterday, and it blew the edge off of the piston off (like from the top, down to the ring), right next to the exhaust port. So I'll need to fix that. It doesn't really look to have done much more than that though, which is nice!! Should be a pretty cheap fix

1993power ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That jeep is from ephrata!
Ha i see it everyday!

Woods-Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
are you not required to have flags on vehicles in the dunes there? In oregon i think they have to be at least 8' tall

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You have to have a flag which is 10ft tall, on anything with 3, or more wheels. So motorcycles don't need them. At Moses Lake anyway, I'm not positive about Coos Bay.
I was looking online before we went to find the laws, and it seems that on most of the other sand dunes around the country, all vehicles including motorcycles must have a flag. I think it's kind of odd that bikes don't need one, but next time, I will probably put one on the bike as well, I just didn't have enough time to make a mount.
But that Jeep didn't have one. I think the thing is probably 13 or 14 feet tall easy, so I highly doubt a flag would do much good at all, haha.

1993power ranger, that Jeep is big isn't it! I think it looks bigger in real life, than in a picture.

1993power ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya it looks WAY bigger in real life
He also has a pretty nice early bronco thats just stock for the most part
but yes it is HUGE
Let me know if you make another trip i will have to bring me yfz

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I'll let ya know man! I will probably only go back out there at most once more this summer. It is kinda spendy to drive out there (I think it was 200 miles each way).

YFZ is a the quad, right? I can never remember Yamaha's names. a YZ__F is a 4 stroke bike, correct, or is YZF__ like Honda and Suzuki?

cappin90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 460
Transmission
Automatic
Man that's making me want to go out to the dunes this weekend. if only my quad still ran...

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
haha, having a running quad ussualy helps!

On a side note, my dad grew up in Bandon, OR. He used to ride mini-bikes all over in that area, all the time. \
EDIT: I guess that would have made more sense if I mentioned that "capping90", it says your location is Bandon/ Albany, OR. It was just some random fact out of no where.

Last edited:

1993power ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it is the quad
I just sold it lol
It had a Falicon Stroker kit in it
But i am gonna buy the new 09 Fuel injected YFZ-R

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals