• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More Torque - Best bang for the buck - Opinions requested

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
HI all,
I have an 89 ranger with a 2.9 that has served me well, but its got north of 250,000 miles on it now and I have been finding myself doing a lot of hwy driving with steep grades lately, and this poor engine really struggles to keep pace with traffic, and if i try, the high rpm operation really aggravates the ticking lifter issue these engines have. to add insult to injury I also live in an exceptionally hot place, so doing this task in 115 degrees with the AC blasting while turning 33 in tires and pushing a square body through the wind. probably exceeds the original design criteria for that engine.

Long story short I think this 2.9's days are numbered.

So, what's the best bang for the buck to get this old truck to pull its own weight and still be reliable. It doesn't need to be a fire breathing monster, but being able to pull 80 mph on a 6% grade would be nice.

Here's a list of my Ideas but I would like to hear some opinions from those with some experience.

1. Rebuild the 2.9 and turbocharge.

Pros:
-least invasive
-I have fab skills, and some tuning skills - could run a microsquirt

Cons:
-while I think the 2.9 would handle a moderate amount of boost just fine, I would still have issues running high RPMs for sustained periods with my 4.56 gearing, so to make use of the increased power, I would need to re gear

-Reliability will likely decrease

2. 302 swap

Pros:
-solid reliable ford platform with lots of aftermarket support
-I have experience swapping the 5.0 HO into other platforms so the wiring doesn't concern me
-Makes enough bot not tons of power
-can be made to fit with AC evaporator....hopefully.

Cons:
-Transmission options aren't the best
M50D-R2 - not the strongest, and if it has the same aluminum shift forks as the R1 I want nothing to do with it.
ZF 5 speed - does it even fit without cutting up the floor? - also expensive.
AOD - maybe the best because it can be adapted to my t-case but I don't love that option.​
T5 - expensive to adapt to 4x4, also not the strongest​
6R80 - perfect for someone with bottomless pockets - can be had for cheap, but adapting its extremely expensive​
maybe there are some others, but I'm not considering transmissions that don't have overdrive​

-what transfer case do I use the 1350 / 1354 is weak, and adapters are expensive, the 1356 is huge, the NP 205 or 208 might be an option, but probably expensive due to popularity
- Prices for any 302 (roller cam) these days is insane. its hard to justify that cost just to have 200hp.

3. LS swap

Pros:
-lots of displacement and power options in the same size package. low weight for aluminum block versions
-can be acquired with transmission, and T-case. this is possible with the sbf 302, but most often it seems like mixing and matching is required.

Cons:
- more interference with AC evaporator
- the 5.3 lifter issues will put me right back where i started lol.
-this really isn't as cheap as some make it out to be especially if you want a low mileage engine with the drive train. - 4-6k. but performance per dollar may be good.

4. the 4.0 swap
Pros:
- easy fit
- cheap

Cons:
- Boring
- good luck finding one that doesn't need head gaskets or a rebuild.
- lots of effort for the power increase.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
wnd-6500-1_ml.jpg

Torque? Rebuild the 2.9 and slap a whinyboi on 'er. Won't need them high rpms.

I don't believe there's a bolt on kit.... but... you said you got fab skills!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
460 got gobs of torque. Probably twist a Ranger in 1/2 too.

4BT would do the same but break the front suspension.

Inline 6 would be very cool too. But you would have to add 4-6" in front of the tire. Then you would look like one of those 70s LTDs with a long nose.

1970-Ford-LTD-429.jpg

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
supercharger might be do-able, maybe an M90? probably will be worse on gas than the turbo....at least when cruising at lower speeds where boost is unnecessary. a wieand might be easy, fab up a base plate to match the lower manifold then just throw a sniper on top....and get a cowl hood. but they are pricey, at least it seems like a lot of money to put into a 2.9

I love the 460 and I always wanted to build one, but not what I had in mind for a daily driver that i still want to be capable off road. it probably would give the old ranger a good twist, but that's what ford trucks do. my old F350 would twist so bad that if you parked it on uneven ground the tail gate wouldn't open.

If I rear mount the radiator I could let the front 2 cylinders of an I6 just hang out past the grille.....then i would be tempted to mount a propeller to the crank.

I would be down for a diesel I just don't know much about them. seems like the ones worth having are better suited for a full size truck weight wise, and the smaller ones are so low on hp that even though they could pull a tall gear on the highway, they would have the worlds worst acceleration.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Best bang for your buck?

Swap out your two rear tires for some 29’s from the junk yard.

Bang, got that gasser stance.

I also support the super charger suggestion if you’ve got more then $30 to spend.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a M90 on my 4.0. It’s sweet, improved gas mileage too.
9CB52C79-4397-4C2C-AD82-9E6EC1BE931D.jpeg

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
Best bang for your buck?

Swap out your two rear tires for some 29’s from the junk yard.

Bang, got that gasser stance.

I also support the super charger suggestion if you’ve got more then $30 to spend.
Smaller wheels wont help run lower rpms, but thrust goes way up the smaller you go in wheel diameter.....assuming you get traction.

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
Might have to go m62 for the 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals