• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More than one shade of "tan" interior... oh well.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Apparently all Ranger sun visors go "limp" over time, in my case just the Driver Side, thought I had a good junkyard score from a 2001 Exploder Sport-Trac, BUT... not so much.

IMG_0165.JPG

Oh well, at least I have a makeup mirror on the driver side now... in case I find a GF who lies about "can't drive a stick-shift"... lulz...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Looks more gray to me. But a visor is a visor no matter what color.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
No, it's definitely in the bee-ah-zhee (beige) family, but I probably need to tweak da settings on my ageing iPhone 6S.

Wanted to get the dual-flap visors from an up-trim Exploder, but strangely they were trashed on the upper side--which shows when deployed--but pristine on the underside which shows when tucked up... as if the owner pulled them down with dirty/greasy fingers, but tucked them back up with clean knuckles...? U-pick yards... ya gets what ya gets.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You almost need to pull parts from the same year vehicle if you want the same color...and pray it's been sun bleached at the same level as yours!

I needed some interior parts for my '92 Explorer - go figure that 91/92 blue interior is different than 93/94... had a hell of a time finding pieces that match. And now I've got a donor '92? (I think) on my trailer, and the plastic is the same color, but other pieces are different... mine has black door pulls, this one is all blue. 🤡

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Paint it all...black.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Paint it all...black.
LOL... truck is already BLACK + in FLorida = OVEN!... don't need to add any more solar heaters.

OTOH I did see that Dupli-Color(?) or similar major brand has rattle-can paint designed for FABRIC... might be a cure--along w/ 3M Adhesive--for the tattered headliner.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Just install the other matching visor.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Just install the other matching visor.
That would require Yet Another trip to da U-pick pigsty... meanwhile, the pleasant period we dare to call "winter" here in So-Fla is decidedly OVER... i.e. thought I only needed the one... chances of the other one still being there... hmmm... will wait 'til there's a nice Eh-sploder I can get the PAIR from...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I need new visors. I have an extra pair that are black. But I fear they are in bad shape, too.

Recently bought some cool visor covers from Blueridge Overland Gear. They have velcro for velcro patches to stick to, plus Molle loops and a zippered pocket. Pretty cool. They cover most of the rips on my visors.

20210508_174835.jpg

20210508_174841.jpg

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They have velcro for velcro patches to stick to, plus Molle loops and a zippered pocket.

LOVE practical high-IQ accessories, esp. for pickups and sporty chariots, and that thar's a winner, BUT... my original issue wasn't tears, or even filth, but just that the inner "cardboard" became so limp and floppy that it requires TWO hands to maneuver it, and even then it can barely hold a sun-shade in place... maybe tomorrow I'll take the scissors to that tired discarded visor, and see what penny-saving material they used in there... will post mah findings...

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
ANATOMY of a FoMoCo Sun Visor: (zipped open the stitching with a single-edge razor--like buttah...)

Duh Main Stiffener I would call "melamine" or "low grade particle board"... not very strong to begin with, and with time, heat, and humidity, it eventually punches-through from the normal torque of flipping it up and down. Supplemental stiffening provided by very thin cardboard backing the fabric on both sides. (Note the date-code on this thin stuff: "01-12-99x2"... another instance of Just-In-Time... IIRC my lil' mule rolled off the Twin Cities line 01-20-99...)

As you can see, it's all staples, rivets, glue, and other NON-reusable fastening methods.

Edge-on view of the main particle board carrier/stiffener. Would a quality piece of plastic really have broken the budget? Or better yet, just extend that main attachment metal "tongue" so it takes 4 or 5 rivets vs only 2? ... I guess so. I mean that's what's really going on, i.e. your thumb is pressing too much on the particle board, instead of on the LOAD BEARING metal tongue... FAIL.

NOTHING about the guts of this thing will survive liquid exposure, in fact, they look like a potential MOLD FARM, so be very careful cleaning them, e.g. wet the rag, not the visor, or use the drier, powdery type carpet cleaners.

Bottom Line: NO feasible way to repair--it's a disposable item.

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Moral of the story: keep your thumb very close to the pivot rod when putting the visor down (even though you then have to push a lot harder due to less leverage), and reach way up and around--with an extreme and awkward wrist-curl--on the windshield side, when putting the visor back up against the headliner--don't just grab the free-hanging edge in a natural way and flip it up... :rolleyes:

...OR: store up a pair in advance, lol...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals