• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More Powa-Babeh 2.9L

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Adsm08 beat me to it. If your truck is going to off road only, the cat delete is not an issue. However, if you drive it on to a public road, you are breaking federal law. Modern catalytic converters are not restrictive like the original ones were. So doing a delete gains you nothing.
Technically you only break federal law if you drive it on a road that is maintained or build with federal funds. I can legally drive my truck on the road I live on because it is a township road. If I get to the end of the road and turn on to US 15 I have broken a federal law.

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
At this point, your engine is so far off from factory parameters that its a miracle that it runs.

Furthermore, the stock tuning is completely incorrect. The EEC-IV Speed Density computer is incapable of re-learning volumetric efficiency. Your volumetric efficiency has changed greatly. Continuing to run it like this will lead to damage - period.

A jet chip is resistors and diodes. They are NOT A TUNER.

YOU NEED A TUNER.

A quarterhorse, SCT, etc. are fawking garbage. They are inadequate as a tuner, period. Fight me. I will win.

If you don't believe me, go to a dragstrip. Those actually winning on EFI are using standalones, not chips. A chip is old tech and several magnitudes more expensive than a standalone.

There is a factory manifold that works. Contact Jeff Herston and Merkur Midwest. blugg@msn.com. Tell him you need a complete Merkur upper. they flow 13-35% better than the junk Ranger intake depending on RPMs. My VE maps show this. Yes, the Merkur one is better than Morana's.

I would be willing to bet that with appropriate tuning, you've already broken the 200hp mark.

If you do decide to go with Megasquirt/microsquirt, PM me. I can remote tune your truck from PA. Tuning shops are $400/hr on average. I am free.
Email has been sent for the upper intake and I’m just waiting until Monday to call and order the MicroSquirt system. I’m hoping to have a pretty eventful week.

Once I’ve got all this installed, I think I’ll be moving toward forced induction. Lol. More than likely supercharger, I’m not a fan of turbo lag.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
DavisRanger,

I feel that you have a problem. A 2.9L with overbore pistons, headers with the correct advanced timing can run great without a Merkur intake manifold, without a Jones Electronic Technologies chip and with a catalytic converter.

I can report for a fact that "the stock 2.9L USDM upper intake manifold is not the bottleneck in this system". My lower intake manifold and heads however, came from the porter significantly lighter and with that very statement

How did you set your timing?

Last edited:

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
DavisRanger,

I feel that you have a problem. A 2.9L with overbore pistons, headers with the correct advanced timing can run great without a Merkur intake manifold, without a Jones Electronic Technologies chip and with a catalytic converter.

I can report for a fact that "the stock 2.9L USDM upper intake manifold is not the bottleneck in this system". My lower intake manifold and heads however, came from the porter significantly lighter and with that very statement

How did you set your timing?
I set my timing with a timing light. Lol. It’s sitting at 12 degrees

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
DavisRanger,

By "how", I meant, where you set the final timing. I have found the the 2.9L responds well to a little more advance. Just to see what would happen, I timed it the way that I was taught to time a Chevy 350. With the engine at operational temp, the spout unplugged, I advanced the timing until the vacuum Gage stopped rising and fluttered, then backed it off 1/2; so the vacuum rose until 27.5 then fluttered, backed it off to 27, done.

Perhaps you could use a little more advance?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals