• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More Bronco hear say.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't care, I don't think I have ever looked at the in my wife's car.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I don't care either, probably care less than you do. But the fact is, they ain't saving a Penny.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Those digital copies don't upload themselves, nor do they self correct. That small group or team to do digital stuff, costs money too, and those techy IT guys ain't cheap.

My point is they will lose one "budget" and replace it with another. So the old paper budget is now the IT budget and so on. I work in Revenue, so I know a little bit of how to reallocate and not intermingle
Each Service Engineer did their own authoring... corrections... updates. You check it out... fix it... check it back in. Corrections would be visible internally within seconds. Web based replicated version would be updated overnight and visible to whoever Joe Public had paid for the subscription. They even had us creating our own artwork in 3D math modeling too. There went nearly the entire art department. It is so much more efficient and a better product in the end.

As to what they did with the money? I'm sure the executives got a handsome bonus. Also with mandates on alternative fuel vehicles most all savings were earmarked for future product. You're probably seeing some of it already.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't care either, probably care less than you do. But the fact is, they ain't saving a Penny.
I'm sure they save millions annually.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
They could save alot of money if they would get rid of all the unneeded bullshit they stuff in everything.

Id gladly buy a vehicle with the only tech being a sliding dial radio if they would sell it with 2 straight axles, V8, manual, no electro nannies and a big cushy bench for 20k ish.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
They could save alot of money if they would get rid of all the unneeded bullshit they stuff in everything.

Id gladly buy a vehicle with the only tech being a sliding dial radio if they would sell it with 2 straight axles, V8, manual, no electro nannies and a big cushy bench for 20k ish.
Sorry... it’s only available with a 3.0l Vulcan.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
But the fact is, they ain't saving a Penny.
My last job ditched their print department. saved millions. no different here. also think, no manuals, no need for the 2 dollar fake leather folder to hold them (count the number of cars made and take it x 2...)
ditching the print department axed at least 5-10 people and got rid of a printing press and all of its associated expenses, maintenance and upkeep and supplies, plus freed up a few thousand square feet of office space. it was a no brainer.

Each Service Engineer did their own authoring... corrections... updates. You check it out... fix it... check it back in. Corrections would be visible internally within seconds. Web based replicated version would be updated overnight and visible to whoever Joe Public had paid for the subscription. They even had us creating our own artwork in 3D math modeling too. There went nearly the entire art department. It is so much more efficient and a better product in the end.

As to what they did with the money? I'm sure the executives got a handsome bonus. Also with mandates on alternative fuel vehicles most all savings were earmarked for future product. You're probably seeing some of it already.
^^this.

They did not hire or spin up a new team just for manual distribution, they loaded existing employees with the task of doing this. basically all they need is a simple script that a high school student can write to take the files and send them where they need to go (website, registered owners by pulling email address or account info from their database). literally a 5 minute to a half hour job each time they run the process. theoretically, just once a year. any revisions to the manual would be a simple replace manual.pdf with manual_rev2.pdf. I would imagine that there are only a few revisions a year in the manuals. and I would also wager that the manuals do not change much from year to year either as most manufactures use the same bodystyle with a few minor mechanical and cosmetics through the run. 93 through 97 Rangers probably don't have but a few pages that are different. Huge savings there, they can insert and delete pages very easily to update to the next years model.

I'm sure they save millions annually.
Yep.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyway, I like these guys. I actually got my t case knobs from them 3 years ago. I don't normally care for the "10 things I hate" shtick but they hit some good points. Nice that they balance out what they don't like but add context about probably why things are how they are.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They did not hire or spin up a new team just for manual distribution, they loaded existing employees with the task of doing this. basically all they need is a simple script that a high school student can write to take the files and send them where they need to go (website, registered owners by pulling email address or account info from their database). literally a 5 minute to a half hour job each time they run the process. theoretically, just once a year. any revisions to the manual would be a simple replace manual.pdf with manual_rev2.pdf. I would imagine that there are only a few revisions a year in the manuals. and I would also wager that the manuals do not change much from year to year either as most manufactures use the same bodystyle with a few minor mechanical and cosmetics through the run. 93 through 97 Rangers probably don't have but a few pages that are different. Huge savings there, they can insert and delete pages very easily to update to the next years model.
Are you related to my old boss?

He spouted out in a meeting..."I can train a monkey to do your job".

How that POS ever kept that position there is beyond belief. Most likely because he saved them millions annually.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Are you related to my old boss?

He spouted out in a meeting..."I can train a monkey to do your job".

How that POS ever kept that position there is beyond belief. Most likely because he saved them millions annually.
nope, I have seen this done in just about every job I have had. current job is much better about that kind of thing, and at least our team treats everyone with respect.

AJ

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Our jobs are specialized, they are going to have to do a LOT of training to that monkey.

Heck, with aircraft fuel tank maintenance, we have hard time getting the people we do have trained on how to fix them correctly so they don’t come back. At least not for the same leak...

I do work on aircraft built in 1958 and 1959 after all...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
That's all fine and good. But, the manual should be made available on multiple digital formats. DVD, Flashdrive/USB stick, PDF available for download. And paper, for old geezers like @rusty ol ranger.
You forgot braille format for all the blind ass drivers out there LOL. When you gotta get out of your car to read the menu in the McD's drive-thru ya probably shouldn't be drivin'...yep I saw that happen a few months ago. Lady got out of her car and walked 2 feet to the menu board to read it I was like Umm, I'm gonna take a different road than she does LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
And then few few people ever look at them anyway.
I saw a guy reading the owner's manual to his Grand Cherokee while he went sailing past me on the freeway a while back...umm, hope he ain't looking up how to stop that thing LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

Oh god, how would anyone drive across town without their car full of electronic nannies and gadgets LOL...Yeah I know what you mean...when 3/4 of an owner's manual is full of how to operate the damn radio/climate control/navigation touch screen crap, its time to take a step back and ask do you really want a car like this that inevitably that stuff is going to break, and your car will cease to operate any longer until you replace the $5,000 in dash tablet LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals