• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More 5.0 swap questions

ken460

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1979
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey All,
New here and found lots of info on this swap.
I have a few holes to fill. I have a 86 couger with a 5.0, auto tranny and the ranger is a 88 SC 4X4 with the 2.9, 5 speed, shift on the fly t case.
1) The question is I would like to keep the Trans and t-case stock till it fails. I think they are the Mitsubishi tranny and borg warner t case. How worthy are these behind a 5.0 mild build?
2) The computer from the couger is for the auto trans. Do I need to find computer from a manual to keep the EFI or put a carb on it? I think yes?
Is there a aftermarket stand alone computer for the EFI available?

Any other issues I should worry about?

Thanks all,
Ken
Seymour, CT

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The answer to #1, is swap the transmission now. Even if you could bolt the 302 up, it ain't gonna last a week behind one. The money you'd spend on an adapter(if there is one) is better spent on a V8 transmission.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Agreed. You'll blow a stock Ranger trans in a short amount of time and yes there is an adapter. I do not believe your 86 auto is computer controlled, it should be an AOD. Your computer should only control the engine. You can use any SBF auto, C4, C6, AOD just use a 4x4 version and an NP205 or 208 t-case and you will be fine. If you desire a stand alone system the two I can think of is MegaSquirt and FAST. There can be some cash tied up in those pretty quickly. Is this going to be street driven and do you have emissions in your area? I would use a dual sump pan, you need a filter relocator, engine mounts and a rafiator at a minimum.

Matt

ken460

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1979
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guy's,

I'll do the tranny swap also.
Is there anyway to keep it manual? could I get a manual from a f 150 or such?
Also I have a c-6 and NP 205 from a 78-78 bronco will these be OK if I go the auto route? Should I use a floor mounted cable shifter for the auto so I don't have to mess with the steering column ect.?
I'll Check into the 86 couger more to see what's up with that I would like to keep the EFI if possible. Anyone know more about this setup? chime in please.
Thanks,
Ken
Seymour,CT

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yep a C6 and a 205 will work. I would suggest a floor mounted cable shifter to make it easy on yourself. If you want an F150 5 speed will work fine. You will have to tweek the shifter a little but it works. You can use 4 or 5 speeds, the 4 speeds being the NP435, T18, and T19, and 5 speeds you can find the M5ODR2 and the ZF. The NP205 will fit on all of them

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wont he need new custom length driveshafts with the c6/205 combo?

ken460

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1979
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Project,
I'm going to find a manual. X2 one for my 78 bronco also.
Figured I'd need to do something with the dive shafts also.
As for emissions I'll have to check with my buddy on that stuff? He does the testing at his garage. That will be the next hurdle. Wounder if they will test it as a 88 5.0 or 88 2.9 or 86 5.0?
Thanks all, Got the 2.9 out today. Tomorrow the 86 5.0L. Anyone Have a 5 speed in the NYC/Boston area they want to part with?
Ken
Seymour, CT

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They will test it for what ever year the truck is.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It will have to meet the emissions for the year and model, so the 5.0 has to meet the standards for an 88 2.9L. Or look for exemptions such as milage and you can run whatever.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals