• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modern Technology

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, while I was waiting for Ford to come out with Ranger, I bought and F-150.

Went to in-laws, 15 miles of gravel roads to their place at end of 800km drive, then same back. Some place in there, a stone clipped an ABS sensor.

So, the truck lost anti lock brakes (message flashed on screen), and with that stability control (next message) and traction control (messages were flying by), none of which were too surprising after I found out what the issue.

But then it cut cruise (can't have me driving on cruise without ABS), followed by electrical power steering (can't be steering too fast without stability control). At which point, I began to get concerned - truck was >200km from nearest Ford dealer and about 50km from cell coverage.

I managed to get it to dealer (driving without power steering in a full size designed for power steering sucks, and I'm out of practice at legging it). With warranty repair of the ABS sensor, all functionality was restored.

It really pointed out to me the interdependence of all the sub systems. Leaves me thinking that installing an EB from the new Ranger into one of our existing Rangers will need a "kit" from Ford to make it work...

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, while I was waiting for Ford to come out with Ranger, I bought and F-150.

Went to in-laws, 15 miles of gravel roads to their place at end of 800km drive, then same back. Some place in there, a stone clipped an ABS sensor.

So, the truck lost anti lock brakes (message flashed on screen), and with that stability control (next message) and traction control (messages were flying by), none of which were too surprising after I found out what the issue.

But then it cut cruise (can't have me driving on cruise without ABS), followed by electrical power steering (can't be steering too fast without stability control). At which point, I began to get concerned - truck was >200km from nearest Ford dealer and about 50km from cell coverage.

I managed to get it to dealer (driving without power steering in a full size designed for power steering sucks, and I'm out of practice at legging it). With warranty repair of the ABS sensor, all functionality was restored.

It really pointed out to me the interdependence of all the sub systems. Leaves me thinking that installing an EB from the new Ranger into one of our existing Rangers will need a "kit" from Ford to make it work...

No different than dropping a Coyote motor in an Sn95 mustang. Just need to buy the independent harness and install an electronic accelerator pedal.

Ford sells harnesses for installing their newer motors in older cars.

PCMs are also set to disregard certain emissions system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My newest vehicle is a 97. If I get my way we will never own anything newer than that again.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my '05 has crank windows, at least I'll be able to bail if the situation arises.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would really love to get a 1970s crew cab highboy. Almost all electronics would be eliminated that way outside of the basics.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to go back to carburetors. I'd be happy with an early-mid 90's Ford truck.

My brother has an '03 F150 that got water in the GEM and started acting crazy--like trying to start itself when the key was in your pocket, kicking into 4x4 by itself and operating the windows and lights. Took a while to sort that out. I thought we would be needing to get a priest for that one.

There are modern trucks that don't have problems. I really, really liked the early-mid 90's Fords, though. In my opinion something changed in their thinking after that.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will say that the incorporation of OBD2 diagnostics has made diagnosing so much easier......if you know how to interpret data and codes

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I will say that the incorporation of OBD2 diagnostics has made diagnosing so much easier......if you know how to interpret data and codes

Agreed. If I could get my older vehicles on an OBD2 system that would be awesome, but something early that doesn't have the super-interdependent infrastructure of new cars.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If i had my choice the only electronics on a vehicle would be the lights, heater, and radio.

Just like the old days.

All that BS just gets in the way

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 09 has the perfect amount of "technology" for me. Obd2 fuel injection is just leap years ahead of going back to carbs and I like automatics over manuals but everything else on my truck is basic and simple. No power windows, no power locks, no crazy traction control, a simplistic abs system, basic am/fm radio, no power seats or mirrors... just a vinyl seat and a rubber floor. I dont hate technology, but I hate unnecessary technology and in my opinion my truck has all the tech it needs to function well and be easy to maintain.

I drove my sisters car the other day with the stupid start/stop system, integrated wifi, bluetooth touch screen nonsense, auto braking, ten million buttons that do nothing, 3 traction modes, heated seats and auto dimming things, automatic headlights and wipers, electronic parking brake... the thing was absolutely absurd. None of that stupid technology made the car more reliable, efficient, or easier to drive. It was all useless junk making the car more complex, harder to work on, and more distracting to operate. Hell the car could probably get 10 more mpgs by just eliminating the weight there must be in wires to operate all that crap.

Last edited:

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 09 has the perfect amount of "technology" for me. Obd2 fuel injection is just leap years ahead of going back to carbs and I like automatics over manuals but everything else on my truck is basic and simple. No power windows, no power locks, no crazy traction control, a simplistic abs system, basic am/fm radio, no power seats or mirrors... just a vinyl seat and a rubber floor. I dont hate technology, but I hate unnecessary technology and in my opinion my truck has all the tech it needs to function well and be easy to maintain.

I drove my sisters car the other day with the stupid start/stop system, integrated wifi, bluetooth touch screen nonsense, auto braking, ten million buttons that do nothing, 3 traction modes, heated seats and auto dimming things, automatic headlights and wipers, electronic parking brake... the thing was absolutely absurd. None of that stupid technology made the car more reliable, efficient, or easier to drive.

It’s kinda funny because to me the greatest leap in innovation in the past decade isn’t any of that stuff you mentioned.

Backup camera. No telling how many kids lives have been saved and accidents avoided.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I installed a backup cam on my FJ because it really has no visibility at all. Not even through the front window. But I never end up looking into the camera because I'm used to using the mirrors to drive.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i like technology.

lights

heat...sort of...

and sometimes radio...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It’s kinda funny because to me the greatest leap in innovation in the past decade isn’t any of that stuff you mentioned.

Backup camera. No telling how many kids lives have been saved and accidents avoided.

I guess that depends on the vehicle. Some of these new Suv's have terrible blind spots behind them and a backup camera is basically a necessity. My truck on the other hand, a backup camera would be pointless. I can just turn do the ole arm on the passengers seat over the shoulder look and see perfectly fine backing up.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like EFI, I like OBD2 over EEC-IV, but I'll take what I can get.

I prefer a manual over an auto for the same reason AllanD did, easier to figure out and fix when they break. I also just have more fun driving them. I doubt I'd switch the Expedition over if given the chance, but none of the others are becoming automatic any time soon.

I do not like ABS at all. I understand how it works, I understand what it does, I understand the physics behind why it is good. I don't like it. I find that I often activate it in situations where my other vehicles wouldn't be locked up, and I don't like just letting it do its thing.

I like power windows, power locks I could take or leave. I am becoming less fond of them in the 1st gen RBVs due to the poor lock switch placement. I lock myself out too often.

I wouldn't mind backup and dash cams in all the vehicles, but most of mine don't have good spots to mount the screens that won't leave either my screen obstructed, or my view of the road partially obstructed.

I think that automotive AC is one of the most ridiculous ideas ever thought up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals