• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

modern day cost:benefit for the white smoke

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
If you want just stock heads get them from a 89-92 2.9 because Ford fixed the cracking problem in 89 and before that are the ones you hear about always cracking. There’s a whole article in the tech section about them in the 2.9 section
yep, might not have mentioned it explicitly enough, but I'm well aware, thanks
If that is the case the OP shouldn't have to worry about cracked heads with his '90... :unsure:

I don't think it was ever really fixed with the 2.9, even the 4.0 is more prone to cracking heads than a lot of engines.
I ended up just replacing the head gaskets, magnaflux showed a "superficial" crack in a mechanical boss of one of the heads, which I wasn't shown but was assured was fine... :dunno:
either way, the white smoke has stopped, and its running as well as I could expect. a few little things to track down still, like wanting to stall when throttle is applied cold. I've got a few hunches on that, and it isn't critical yet...

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Tapping into the experts here - what in your experience is the % of cracked heads, vs cracked blocks on the 2.9s? I have been battling a coolant leak into the insides of the valve covers (nothing in the actual oil, it seems) and though I just installed new ProMaxx heads, I want to know how likely it is that my problem is actually not the heads, but the block itself having a crack. It has great oil pressure and runs very strong, can even chirp the tires accellerating around a corner (automatic).

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm certainly no expert, but I personally haven't heard of an issue with the blocks cracking, just the OEM pre-'89 heads. I seriously doubt yours is/was the block. If it was the block, the leaking coolant would drain into the crankcase (if it leaked internally) and you would quickly get the milkshake effect throughout the engine. Sounds like your head cracked into the upper part of the head, rather than an intake or exhaust port, or the combustion chamber.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your reply Paulos! I am thinking the same thing, but I've never had to deal with this issue before so appreciate all opinions.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess I was fortunate that when the original heads on my '87 cracked, the coolant leaked out through the exhaust. I've heard that coolant in the oil is death to the mains, rods, and cam bearings. And it's a terrible mess to clean up when that slime coats the inside of an engine.
Glad to hear that your new heads are working well.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I did the "replace the heads" thing. Here is what I would have done different. Strip it down to the block, have the lower end rebuilt, get new lifters and cam shaft. New water pump, new timing chain. Change all seals and gaskets, new injectors, new spark plugs, etc. Have the manifolds checked by a machine shop (they can warp if overheated). You get the picture. I could have completely rebuilt my engine for the time and money I have put into "fixing" it. Since the lower end on a 2.9 is pretty sturdy and if you have good compression, you might be able to leave that be. But personally, I would redo everything from there up. Just a noobs 2 cents

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Update from my end, is that, so far (two days of a lot of driving followed by cooldowns overnight) the coolant has stayed at exactly the same level in the oveflow tank, and there is no coolant condensation like there used to be under the oil filler cap. So, fingers crossed, and I hope I am not jinxing it now, it seems like the heads were the problem, and not the block. Engine is also stronger now with the new heads/valves (although it ran strong before this operation) and is quieter, but also sounds a bit more 'mechanical' (as in I can now faintly hear the valvetrain doing its thing). Oil pressure very good. If any of this changes will update again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals