• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

modern day cost:benefit for the white smoke

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Hey folks, I'm going to ask about something that has been covered in the past, on purpose.
I've been reading (actually for a while) the tech articles and such on cracked and how the 2.9 wont make power (and those who argue it).

Into the meat:
I recently purchased for 500 dollars a '90 5speed 4x4 single cab. Rough exterior, but up here there's a premium on 4wd.
She let the smoke out while putting it on the trailer.

I'm about to run the compression tests and such, but as I weigh options, what would you do in today's market?
the "good" replacement heads for the 2.9 no longer seem to be available. other new heads are 450-500 a pair, plus gaskets and such obviously.
the ideal donor 4.0l would by now also be getting higher in mileage, and harder to come by regardless, and there's still a fair bit of work involved in that swap for a now old engine.

I wouldnt say I -need- power, but its always nice isnt it? and im likely enough to re-gear anyway.
My budget is pretty well open given my purchase price and the otherwise high value of the truck here (when its back to roadworthy)
im willing to spend a bit more to "upgrade" things, but I get the feeling much of what I've read on here is getting antiquated.

If this has been recently addressed, feel free to bash me and post a link, I'll still thank you

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
Following. Doing the same thinking right now.

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Autozone sells reman heads for $300-$400 dollars each with a warranty.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pull the heads, see what the cylinder walls look like and go from there. I'd be tempted to just fix it. I've done several 4.0 swaps and you have an ideal candidate for that... But that's a lot of work for a beater truck.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Autozone sells reman heads for $300-$400 dollars each with a warranty.
if you or anyone else reading needs to do this and hasnt googled yet, this is not a good deal at all. as I mentioned above, they can be had for ~250 each, new, fully assembled, or 450ish for the pair.

Pull the heads, see what the cylinder walls look like and go from there. I'd be tempted to just fix it. I've done several 4.0 swaps and you have an ideal candidate for that... But that's a lot of work for a beater truck.
fair enough, thats probably the smart way to go. I've got a 4runner in the middle of a madmax/cage body job for "adventures", so its not like I need an exceptionally powerful engine. reliability is going to be more important here.
I should get a photo or two up of the truck, its not quite "beater", but maybe just one or two levels up from that. mostly just really bad paint, not significantly damaged or rusted.

maybe if this one looks good enough for the repair, even if I decide to 4.0 it down the road, this would make a good swap for my dad's earlier model

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the 1990 2.9l had the better heads so I would pull them and pay the $50 to have them pressure checked if you don't see any obvious cracks
Could just be a bad head gasket
You can do the Glove Test prior to pulling the heads to see which cylinder has the leak, for better eyeballing for crack or gasket issue

A carb/distributor 302(5.0l) swap can be done but you say 4x4s are more expensive in your area, so might be hard to get older 4x4 V8/trans and transfer case, but these can be found rusted out or rolled :)

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
yep those are the main ones I'm looking at.

Well the 1990 2.9l had the better heads so I would pull them and pay the $50 to have them pressure checked if you don't see any obvious cracks
Could just be a bad head gasket
You can do the Glove Test prior to pulling the heads to see which cylinder has the leak, for better eyeballing for crack or gasket issue
A carb/distributor 302(5.0l) swap can be done but you say 4x4s are more expensive in your area, so might be hard to get older 4x4 V8/trans and transfer case, but these can be found rusted out or rolled :)
yeah I'm hoping it's just the headgasket obviously, but expecting the worst. no real difference in work once it's down to the head gasket anyway, so
i've looked at the 302 swap, I just dont think its for me, available or not. I've actually got an old 302 in a lincoln town car. if i mess with a 302, it will be to put the high output in that thing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well compared to the 2.9l all other engines are high output...........................:ROFLMAO:

Just joking in a totally unusual way

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Well compared to the 2.9l all other engines are high output...........................:ROFLMAO:

I would agree if talking about a 2.8. I liked my 2.9 and thought it had plenty of power.

Problem is, the original thread starter doesn't know anything about the 2.9 he just bought. So the recommendation to take it apart and check it out is good advice. My 2.9 had cracked heads, but it had good power and did not use a drop of oil. So I went ahead and invested the approx $400 in new ebay heads and they bolted on and worked great, besides the still leaking valve cover gaskets.

There seems to be a common theme on this board, put any engine in your ranger as long as it's not the original engine. But all engines have their drawbacks, and common failure points.

You will inherit a completely different set of problems usually when changing the engine for something else. Might as well keep the original engine and deal with the problems it has.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The big problem with the 2.9 is that they were cast out of old recycled soviet soup cans.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
hah I'm referring to the high output 302 that came in the fox body mustangs, its just a few top-end differences, but still would be going in the town car not the ranger

I would agree if talking about a 2.8. I liked my 2.9 and thought it had plenty of power.
Problem is, the original thread starter doesn't know anything about the 2.9 he just bought. So the recommendation to take it apart and check it out is good advice.
with the replies thus far(nobody saying "look here you can get a decent, fair priced 4.0") -check it out and probably just fix it- is what I'm planning now
I've had the smaller engines in heavier rangers and been fine. this truck will live in montana, but will do no [deliberate] mudding, so I'm definitely fine keeping it stock as long as its not still a good bang for buck to swap it

1.slow.pitt.ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
he "good" replacement heads for the 2.9 no longer seem to be available. other new heads are 450-500 a pair, plus gaskets and such obviously.
If you want just stock heads get them from a 89-92 2.9 because Ford fixed the cracking problem in 89 and before that are the ones you hear about always cracking. There’s a whole article in the tech section about them in the 2.9 section

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want just stock heads get them from a 89-92 2.9 because Ford fixed the cracking problem in 89 and before that are the ones you hear about always cracking. There’s a whole article in the tech section about them in the 2.9 section
If that is the case the OP shouldn't have to worry about cracked heads with his '90... :unsure:

I don't think it was ever really fixed with the 2.9, even the 4.0 is more prone to cracking heads than a lot of engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals