• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modding a torsion bar truck to be more "Pre-runner" friendly

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looking to see what can be done with my torsion bar suspension to have it perform better for small jumps, and your normal desert terrain. It's a bit stiff when playing around so looking for suggestions.
:icon_thumby:

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
build a hoop and tab your A-arm to run a coilover and through away the torsion bars :icon_welder:

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds expensive lol. Friend of mine could do the fabrication, what do the coil overs cost? I know tbars suck though.

pics?

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
for coilovers check out f-o-a best bang fo ur buck

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

Dzrtcj7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Coil overs is not the only answer for making a truck perform ok ...

We RACE on torsion bars, and frankly haul ass through the whoops.

One key is, you can never have too much shock.

If I were to be setting up a prerunner (which I am) with torsion bars, I'd run the "1" sport trac (heaviest) bars, a shock hoop with at least a 2.5" remote reservior shock. A lot of making any truck work well is spending the time and money to get the rearend to work well too ....

The only major downside to the torsions is you will have to replace them. We can get a set to go about 500 miles of HARD use before they are sagged and wasted. We also do not start with hardly any "twist". Our arms, once everything is settled, are close to level.

Dzrtcj7

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Another word on the "stiffness" of the front end. Most trucks set up for high speed offroad abuse are set up "stiff" unless you are running a multi rate coil over spring and multi bypass shock. You would be suprised how stiff our truck rides until you get it gliding over the top of a set of whoops.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
x2 on what Dzrt said. you need the front end to be stiffer than most prerunners due to havin small travel numbers but the shocks are what will make or break your truck. you can run 8" of travel but with a properly valved shock you can pass people left and right that are runin 13-15 inches if they a little off on valving. I have a buddy runnin the camburg torsion kit with the dual bilsteins and camburgs spindle and upper arm, his truck hauls through desert whoops no problem and pulls 13" of travel.

coilovers are definitley nice but if you do it you might as well just invest in a full LT kit for your front end. Id say pick Dzrts brain on his set up and then go buy some deaver rear springs and put a bed cage in with a 14-16" shock and have fun! you will probably be very impressed if you set the shocks up right ;)

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so far everyone, very helpful. Glad to hear it sounds like i can work with my truck. I am planning for spindles someday, and probably by then it would be wise to replace/upgrade the t-bars, to #1s. Since right now i have LLs (or whichever the worst are).

Can anyone recommend a good shock with budget in mind? Bilsteins, Ranchos, Pro-Comps?

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
+ here is a pic of my little tonka truck. We're going to make up a bumper in the near future, swap rear discs, and some other stuff.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you want a shock that will really help you id get a tuneable one, namely one that you can valve. a higher model bilstein (i believe the 7100 are tuneable) or F-O-A shock is a good less expensive shock to get you where you want to be

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
FOA, harbor freight of shocks. MYSELF I would not run them as a coil carrier.If photobucket wasnt down Id post a pic of the poristy I got in a replacment top cap straight from FOA.I know there are alot of people who do.But after what I got ,I wouldnt have the faith in them to do so.
As a non weight carring shock,they could be a good bang for the buck.I would just open them up to spy a sneak peek on thier assembly.but thats anoutehr issue I had.

T&T shock they are a 2.0 dia shock.I dont know much about them. heard they are a knock off fox....

fox 2.0 series and bilstien 7100 are both 2.0 shock's.

sway a way has a 2.0 and a 2.25 line.

king 2.0's as well.

if you buy a tuneable shock, just make sure you get them with resi's

the "throw away" shocks, wont really help you much as you cant tune them like all the shocks above.Bilstien 5100's are the only ones that I know they do valve them to each app. where procomp, rancho etc is "one size fits all" in the valving.but at 75ea for the 5100 your half way to a tuneable 2.0 shock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals