• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mixture control solenoid

Kizzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m new here. I got an 85 Ranger, the 2.8 about a month ago and have been troubleshooting all sorts of things to get the truck running right. In all honesty I’m new to working on cars as a whole but I’ve learned a lot in the past month and this forum has been very helpful. Truck is in great condition but I felt like it wasn’t running as good as it should. Started with the usual standard tune up, all the fluids, spark plugs, etc. The man I bought it from mentioned that it prob needs carb rebuilt. So I eventually looked into it. carb looked great externally but I took his word for it And got the kit. When I started removing it I disconnected the mixture control/ feedback solenoid and it was somewhat gooey/ broken plastic and burnt looking. I still rebuilt the carb tho it seemed fine. Truck is not running that good and stalling in idle. Pretty positive solenoid is toast and found one online I believe. Couldn’t find one specifically for the 85 2.8 but one that looks just like it, gasket and all. I’m wondering if the truck running poorly is from this and if I replace it, could another electrical issue have contributed to the old one failing. Sry for long post, just how it flowed.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome. I can't tell you for sure if there's any differences among the fuel/air solenoids, but if the cost is reasonable I'd say it's worth a try. The engine computer is what operates the solenoid, so if it fits the carb it may work.

Most of us that have the 2.8 have done the Duraspark conversion.

Kizzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I see, thanks a lot Robbie. I’ve seen some things on the Duraspark conversion. Should I be looking into that. Does the 2.8 have a bad trend, contributing to people doing the Duraspark Conversion. How difficult is it. This truck only has 102k, mostly garage stored. No rust. All original. My daily driver🤔

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It would be well worth it to spend the time here on TRS reading the tech section articles, and searching out posts on the 2.8 Duraspark conversion.

The original engine management design for the Ranger / Bronco II with 2.8L engine was complicated, and problematic even when new. The last ones (like your '85) are now 35 years old. On top of aged and worn sensors and actuators, wiring and vacuum lines, a big problem is finding replacement parts.

When I got my '84 Ranger, my plan was to keep it as stock as possible. It just wasn't worth the trouble, and possibly not even feasible. The Duraspark is a good conversion; it uses Ford parts to replace the computer, sensors and actuators with more of an old-school ignition system, and the carb can be replaced or there is a work-around for the mixture solenoid.

The best advice that I can give is to research what's involved, and then go the direction that you're most comfortable with. I converted mine 10 years ago, and in my experience it has by far been the best thing I could have done. The '84 is my daily driver, and the conversion has given me no trouble since it was done.

Kizzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again Robbie that’s very good to know. Definitely going to try out the solenoid I found and if that fails,
Look into Duraspark. That’s good to know it’s been your daily driver for 10 years! Any other things to look out for with the 2.8. The mechanics that have looked at mine were impressed and felt there was long life left in the truck, but I’m assuming they didnt know of those issues with the 2.8.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you can get it to run decently with the original setup, by all means keep it, and just drive and enjoy your truck. If not, you do have a good option to fall back on.

In my opinion the 2.8 is a good motor; it's honest and dependable, excepting the original engine management system (I have, and drive, all three of the early Ranger V6's- I like 'em all).

If you have high oil consumption and some smoking, putting new valve seals in is not hard and helps a lot. Otherwise, the very best thing you can do is to focus on your basic routine maintenance; fluid changes, good ignition parts, and especially make sure the engine cooling system is in good shape.

Sounds like you have a nice truck; post some pics of it if you're so inclined. Good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 BII with the 2.8. I did the duraspark conversion also. I tried to keep the original system also, but it would not run right and had so many error codes it was not worth it. Not many people know how to troubleshoot and work on the original system, and like was already mentioned, some parts are impossible to find, I am surprised you found a solenoid, though it sounds like you had a difficult time finding it and it may or may not work.

Open the hood and look at all those colored plastic lines, and that large wad of wires and all that stuff under the plastic cover on the pass side inner fender. All of that will go away if you ever do the conversion.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Kizzle I moved your post to the 2.8L Forum...

Maybe go back and create a new post to introduce yourself and perhaps post a picture of your clean 85. We all like pictures!

And welcome to TRS...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The first couple years of Rangers had a lot of feedback solenoid failures, it got to the point where I'd change them in the yard and not bother having a tech do it. At first the solenoid was $98 at dealer cost( Ford paid the dealers a 30% markup on parts then), once they started failing in big numbers the price dropped to $12. 30% of 12 is a lot less than 30 % of 98.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Kizzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Awesome I went ahead and bought that one. Thank you Andy B. I had already bought this one below but it hasn’t shipped, do y’all think I should cancel or keep that one as a back up in case another failure...

Attachments

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you can cancel it, I would. It’s for a different carburetor. No idea for which application.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would drive and live with that system you have now before I spent a lot of money in spare parts. If it runs good for a period of time, and you get up to speed and learn all about it, you can then start hunting up and investing in spare parts. You may end up having trouble with it in the not too distant future, and end up ditching the whole system, wasting all that money in spare parts you won't need.

I am not sure what the score is, but I converted my engine over to a duraspark system, but I am still using the original computer style carb. Mine still has the solenoid, but there is just no wire going to it. It runs like a top. Never had a carbed engine idle so smooth, and it runs down the road 75mph with ease. I am leaving the original carb on there till something happens to it. I did have to modify the fast idle cam a little bit, since the computer isn't controlling the idle speed anymore.

Kizzle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When the 2.8 with the original smog stuff ran right, it ran great. I had to keep the original stuff because I am in California. Partds started getting hard to find many years ago and I'd hate to try and find some of those things today. (I sold my truck about 10 years ago) In other words, prepare to do a conversion, but if can keep it original, do it.This forum has lots of info and help available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals