• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Missing right rear brake

1gordyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2004 ranger xlt supercab 4x4 with manual tranny.
Just bought this high mileage (200k) ranger. Did not pay much so i expected there to be issues BUT.
in troubleshooting a non operative park brake I both rear brake hubs and find the right hub is empty, no brake parts in there except the brake cylinder.
I can buy shoes and a parts kit but the kits do not have all the needed parts. Does anyone have a parts truck and would be willing to sell me all the right rear brake parts?
The brake fluid reservoir is full and the other three brakes all work so why doesn’t the right brake cylinder pistons push out and lose all the fluid when the brakes are applied?
81B65E4B-D447-4DE7-878A-4294D2EA47F6.jpeg

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The brake fluid reservoir is full and the other three brakes all work so why doesn’t the right brake cylinder pistons push out and lose all the fluid when the brakes are applied?
The cylinder my be rusted and seized. Either that or the line is disconnected and capped or crimped somewhere between there and the tee fitting at the differential.

Sounds like you're due for a trip to the junk yard for parts.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The previous owner hid a problem and dumped it on you. Like noted above, chase the system from the axle splitter block to the wheel cylinder and make sure everything is in tact. From there, see if the wheel cylinder is functional. If all that looks ok, then you can start working on getting parts to install everything that should be there.

My guess is that the wheel cylinder is shot and the previous owner didn't want to deal with it. It may be that the metal brake line twisted off when they tried to fix the problem. Assuming they even tried to get that far.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Find the guy who sold it to you and then "accidentally" rear end him. Then get out and say "gee man I dunno why the brakes didn't work on this sweet truck you sold me!".

Joking of course... But knowingly selling a vehicle with defective brakes like that (or at least not disclosing the issue to the buyer) is pretty messed up bordering on criminal.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
All of the missing hardware can be purchased new with the exception of the park brake lever (attached to the secondary shoe) & the push rod & spring that are between the primary & secondary shoe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals