• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Misfire update, 1989 Computer bad.

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
The Ranger will run pretty well with the Spout connector undone, but misfires grossly when the spout signal is present. I ran new wires for the pip signal and spout signal from the TFI to the computer. In doing this I am able to backprobe it while its running.

I would think that if it runs well with no spout, the TFI is doing ok. With spout out, the computer is sending out a return frequency the same as the pip input frequency. Both increase frequency similarly when the pedal is pressed down a bit.

The last time this happened, I replaced the computer with a used unit and it ran great for about a year, after swapping the TFI with a cheapy. It did run great with the cheapy. Opens up a can of worms though, as in if its done that again, what keeps killing my computers?

I suppose my question is, should I venture to replace my TFI unit first? Or just bite it and get yet another computer.

Third option I guess would be to leave spout undone and just drive it around. Mostly using it for dump runs and in town hauling if need be.

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
Welp Yep Nope
Borrowed an oscilliscope, PIP signal going to computer is a nice even pulse wave, Spark output coming from computer is pure shredded wheat. I guess it killed another one.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Great testing-not the answer you might have wanted but you got it right.👍

-Jazzer

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
Great testing-not the answer you might have wanted but you got it right.👍

-Jazzer
Maybe jumping off the old beast is killing the computer. I only run it a few months out of the year. Of course, putting out for a new computer is out of the question, there is one company that does but its very expensive. Its times like this I like Dodge and Chevy as they kept recycling their old stuff. In my case, my engine and trans are aok, but the electrical system is not. The "remanufactured" computer I bought was a silver spray painted obviously used unit. I love this nasty truck, but hate how pigeonholed my options are for improving it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals