• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

misfire at/around 3000 rpm

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
I posed this on a different ranger forum, fixed some other issues based on the replies(Thx, RonD) but not the main issue, so perhaps I can get some fresh eyes on the problem

It is a misfire or intermittent lack of fire around 3000 rpm. The tach drops when it happens.
I have replaced Coil, Fuel pump, FPR, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TFI, pickup coil, and TPS
I have not replaced the MAP or O2 sensor.
No check engine light or codes present.

It ran ok last year, with the above problem every so often, but after sitting over the winter it does it constantly.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Compression test? Vacuum Leak?

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
Compression test? Vacuum Leak?
I fixed all the Vac leaks, but it ran fine with a bunch of vacuum leaks last year.
Cant test compression but I think its probably fine, not usually something that suddenly changes I would think. Truck ran strong last year, no oil burning or blow by, and got 21mpg on the highway on a long trip despite being loaded down with a bunch of cargo and it being the 4WD model. Only has 120k on it even though it looks like total garbage.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Does the fuel pressure drop under load?

does the issue occur if you rev the engine to higher rpm or only while you Are driving?

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
Does the fuel pressure drop under load?

does the issue occur if you rev the engine to higher rpm or only while you Are driving?
Fuel pressure is where it should be according to the gauge I have, just in case I made sure to replace the fuel delivery system and the numbers really didn't change. It will misfire under no load as well. Its harder to tell but definitely does it. I can entertain the idea that this maybe a computer issue.
I have verified continuity from every pin of the computer harness to each input and output module(sensors, injectors)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would hook up vacuum gauge and see if there is a dip in the vacuum at rpm. This could indicate an issue with the timing or valve train.

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
I would hook up vacuum gauge and see if there is a dip in the vacuum at rpm. This could indicate an issue with the timing or valve train.
I can try that tomorrow. I wasn't thinking it was valvetrain as the tach quickly jumps around when it screws up, which made me think the spark was dropping out as the tach is run directly off the coil.

EDIT my apologies, the tach is run off of the TFI, the tach and coil trigger share the same signal

Last edited:

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

The Miracle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9 4X4
Transmission
Automatic
To the Original Poster - Did you ever find a fix for your misfire problem. I have a 2003 3.0 FF and I have a misfire under hard acceleration and over 3000 RPM. I found this Technical Service Bulletin but am dreading taking it to a dealer. What did you do? https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/3-0-miss-stumble-out-of-ideas-and-money.49116/
The computer went out again. Pip signal into the computer was nice square wave but the spark out was pure shredded noise.

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The computer went out again. Pip signal into the computer was nice square wave but the spark out was pure shredded noise.
I am having similar issue can you explain how I can go about testing the pip signal to computer and how I can test the signal from the computer newer to the electrical side of things but if you could just let me know easiest way to test that to see if my new computer is junk I’d appreciate it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Kyle, It may take a bit but you'll get the answers in time
Good luck with it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals