• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Misfire and hard start

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
During the winter my engine ran amazing, first crank vrooom. Well finally passed inspection, new top end etc and now its summer time. Morning start nearly kills the battery, just cranks and cranks and cranks without a hit, then I finally get a hit and it slowly comes to life and barely running then smooths out. Go to take off and backfires, and i can't give it alot of throttle. gets to operating temp and it runs fine. And I start it up after work no issue, is this typical for the fuel injection in this year?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not normal at all.

Try turning the key to Run (do not crank the starter),
wait 2-3 seconds (you should hear the fuel pump run)
turn key back to Off, back to Run, wait 2-3 seconds/off/run then crank it over.

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
It reminded me of an unplugged tps as I have had that happen before, I check all connections under the hood and unplug tps, no change. plug it back in and all is better. Must of been a dirty connection? Idk but I'm taking a longer ride tomorrow and I will see how it runs.

jhammel85

Definitely not normal. Hopefully it was a bad connection...It happens!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the engine was running without a sensor you will need to reset the computer. Disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour then run it for 20 minutes. It is probably running on false values the computer cannot go backwards so for effiency disconnect the neg terminal on the battery for at least half an hour and run it for 20 mins at medium speeds to set the new values. You need to do that every time you mess with a sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals