• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Misfire after changing spark plugs

Cortcase

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
Ive got a 94 4.0, new to me, 137k miles. It had a bit of a rough idle and slight hesitation when cold. I knew the spark plugs and leads were probably original, so I figured that was the best place to start.

I purchased new plugs and leads from Napa. Gapped plugs, changed one at a time, comparing lead length as I went. Everything by the book.

But after I changed everything, the idle and hesitation got worse. The engine is now clearly misfiring. The misfire is the worst when the engine is cold and it's raining. When the weather clears up, and the engine is warm, you almost wouldn't know there was an issue.

My first suspension was the leads. Perhaps they aren't getting a good connection, or maybe one is faulty. I ohmed them all out, and they were all good. The old leads also tested good, but barely within spec. My second suspension is the coil. This is where we get to my first question.

I tested the primary and secondary, comparing values against Chilton's manual. Spec for the three primaries is .3 to 1 ohm. All three tested .6. spec for the secondaries is 6.5k-11.5k ohms. This is where things get odd. All three coils tested at 14.13k ohms, ±.02, post to post.

This is the first oddity. If two pairs of posts had been between spec I'd definitely reace the coil pack, but since all three are out and even, I'm suspicious of Chilton's spec.

Also, Chilton's testing procedure produced no reading. The manual says to test from pin to post. But the connector pins are part of the primary, therefore they have no connection to the secondary, therefore no continuity. Testing post to post produces a reading, but it's out of spec. But all three are identical.

I'm at a loss. Am I doing something wrong? Should is replace the ignition coil? What are the odds I got a bad plug or two? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What brand of plugs do you install?

If you say something other then Motorcraft or Autolite…. that is where I would start.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I agree with unckie gump, fords hate anything but motorcraft/autolite ignition parts. The part where it gets worse when it rains leads me to think wires or coil though. One of the old school tests for wires/coils was to wait till dark and then mist the engine with water. If the wires or coil were bad the water will light up like christmas.

I don't know how to perform a "real" test on the coil packs.

Cortcase

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
I used Bosch platinum finewire plugs and Belden leads. Should I use different leads as well or start with plugs?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do one thing at a time to figure out what is causing the problem. Bosch in general does not play well with many brands of vehicles. Honda and Ford seem to be a couple of them. So, I would look at the plugs first.

Cortcase

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock
So, tell me if this would be a reasonable test. When I took the old plugs out I was surprised at how good of condition they were in. Really the only thing wrong with them was they were out of gap spec and I would not be surprised if they were quite new. Would it be reasonable to clean the old ones up, re-gap them and put them in temporarily to see if that helps the issue?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It would certainly tell you if you're on the right track... bosch plugs are effing terrible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals