• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

misfire 4th gear, 65mph, full throttle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey all,

I'm having trouble with a misfire with my ranger. I had posted about it earlier but I'm still struggling to diagnose it. here's when it typically happens:

accelerating to highway speed
4th gear (manual trans)
full throttle
sometimes after shifting to 5th and load decreases

engine begins to run rough and then shakes pretty badly and a flashing CEL appears. But once I ease off for a few seconds, the CEL goes away and the truck runs as normal. I've plugged in my code reader and there are no stored or pending codes.

motorcraft spark plugs put in Friday
NGK plug wires
new coil
have run seafoam through the gasoline
new fuel filter sitting on the bench (I loaned my truck to my parents for a bit)

Has anyone else experienced this? is there a known fix? Thanks for the info.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What you describe sure sounds like an ignition misfire. Does it still do the same thing after the ignition component changes?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What you describe sure sounds like an ignition misfire. Does it still do the same thing after the ignition component changes?
No change at this time. As I'm searching, I'm starting to wonder if it's the cam position sensor? would that cause a similar issue? could I maybe change just the sensor or is it worth switching out the whole synchronizer?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Anything is possible I suppose. Being the problem is so specific... I kinda doubt that is the problem.

That said... the cam synchronizer is known to fail on the 3.0L engines. If it fails... you lose the oil pump then the engine follows. Depending on mileage it might be worth doing an inspection and replacing.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Anything is possible I suppose. Being the problem is so specific... I kinda doubt that is the problem.

That said... the cam synchronizer is known to fail on the 3.0L engines. If it fails... you lose the oil pump then the engine follows. Depending on mileage it might be worth doing an inspection and replacing.
the motor has 104,000mi on it right now so I would hope it doesn't have a part failing like that at this point. My thought is that the problem is either that, fuel pump is clogged, or another unknown electrical sensor having issues.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like an ignition related problem. If it were fuel related it would be more of a bogging or just lack of power, and in extreme cases, lean backfire thru the intake. I would pull the spark plugs & look them over for signs of misfire or contamination of some kind, like oil or coolant. If you see nothing obvious, i would do a compression test & a fuel pressure test.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals