• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Milemarker vs Rugged Ridge for PVH hub replacement?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I was planning to swap in a set of Rugged Ridge manual hubs on my '99 in the next month or so after completing the V8 swap. However, I noticed yesterday that Mile Marker also makes a set (MMK426). Has anybody here had experience with both, or looked at both designs up close to compare them?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I was planning to swap in a set of Rugged Ridge manual hubs on my '99 in the next month or so after completing the V8 swap. However, I noticed yesterday that Mile Marker also makes a set (MMK426). Has anybody here had experience with both, or looked at both designs up close to compare them?
I do not know about the mile marker hubs but I have the rugged ridge hubs. Looking at the pics they are very similar. I am wondering if mile marker bought an old rugged ridge patent The only problem I am having is my fault. I left it locked in for about 2,000 miles until I realized the grinding noise was not my wheel bearing :shok: . It still functions but I have to force it to lock. You could always swap in expo axles and hubs for 170 brand new on ebay and convert to live axle.

Edit: I looked at the pictures again and they look exactly the same.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There were some references to internal differences between them, but I obviously can't verify that.

The live axle swap is an option, and was the route I was leaning towards. However, quite a few of the guys running the 4406 on the Explorer forums have run into vibrations coming from the front shaft afterward, presumably due to the greater angle caused by the transfer case being further outboard. The manual hub option allows me to ignore that problem for normal use. A little bit of vibration when I actually need 4x4 doesn't really concern me.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The live axle swap is an option, and was the route I was leaning towards. However, quite a few of the guys running the 4406 on the Explorer forums have run into vibrations coming from the front shaft afterward, presumably due to the greater angle caused by the transfer case being further outboard. The manual hub option allows me to ignore that problem for normal use. A little bit of vibration when I actually need 4x4 doesn't really concern me.
That was my knee jerk reaction too. I hadn't thought about the t-case being wider. Do those have CV front driveshafts?

Some t-cases don't like being ran all the time either.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yep, I've already got the case and linkage ready to go. Some people use the front shaft off the 1st gen Explorers because it's got a double cardan setup and apparently works a bit better. I've got a shaft from an F150 that supposedly works but I'll confirm once the case is in place.

Apparently the 4406 front output is about an inch further out than the AWD case.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There were some references to internal differences between them, but I obviously can't verify that.

I just did the live axle swap on my '99 Ranger.

I can't speak as to how it works with the engine/drive train swap but I'm very pleased with it so far.

Adios PVH hubs!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
They're definitely going away, I'm just at a fork in the road for their replacement. Outside of the drivetrain swap I'd probably go live axle. With it, the manual hubs is rising to the top.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I've already got the case and linkage ready to go. Some people use the front shaft off the 1st gen Explorers because it's got a double cardan setup and apparently works a bit better. I've got a shaft from an F150 that supposedly works but I'll confirm once the case is in place.

Apparently the 4406 front output is about an inch further out than the AWD case.
I have heard people like the double cardian better. My '95 D35 came with one, I might run it depending on how the pieces fall in place.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hopefully I'll have some knowledge of how the front shaft works in the next 48 hours. Taking tomorrow off to try to get the motor in while the weather is good.

blueovals

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
welder: because balls out fire breathing metal bending bad ass mofo isn't an official job title
I just purchased my first 4×4 ranger. Ive had several 2.3 2wds and finally found a deal on a 99 extended cab 4x4 with the 3.0. The lady i bought it from thought the wheel bearings were going out in the front. They are not. It growls going down the road. Increases with speed. Almost feels like the front brakes are dragging when letting off the gas. Checked the brakes out and they seem fine. Upper ball joints are shot and will be replaced promptly but i dont think thats causing the noise. From the limited searching my "smart" phone will allow me to do here i think its the pvh hubs. Is this one of the symptoms? If so i was told switching to manual hubs requires leaving them locked. That doesnt sound right. Any insight?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
They're definitely going away, I'm just at a fork in the road for their replacement. Outside of the drivetrain swap I'd probably go live axle. With it, the manual hubs is rising to the top.
a plus for live axle swap is you can get 12" rotors, but not all 15" wheels will fit over them.
whether you use 11.25" or 12" rotors is determined by the knuckle. both use the same calipers & pads.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

You might try this for free before you do anything, if the vibration isn't bad then go live. If it is get manual hubs.

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/permanently-lock-your-98-00-pvh-hubs/

I just purchased my first 4×4 ranger. Ive had several 2.3 2wds and finally found a deal on a 99 extended cab 4x4 with the 3.0. The lady i bought it from thought the wheel bearings were going out in the front. They are not. It growls going down the road. Increases with speed. Almost feels like the front brakes are dragging when letting off the gas. Checked the brakes out and they seem fine. Upper ball joints are shot and will be replaced promptly but i dont think thats causing the noise. From the limited searching my "smart" phone will allow me to do here i think its the pvh hubs. Is this one of the symptoms? If so i was told switching to manual hubs requires leaving them locked. That doesnt sound right. Any insight?
Never heard of having to leave manual hubs locked all the time.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You might try this for free before you do anything, if the vibration isn't bad then go live. If it is get manual hubs.

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/permanently-lock-your-98-00-pvh-hubs/
Mine are currently rigged up to be manual by cutting out the outer screen from the hubs. The conversion works pretty well, but I was looking for a longer term solution. That's a good point about testing things out first. I can definitely lock them in and go for a drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N6qUjq3py8

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Video no workie.

Yeah, if you can do that I would for sure try it. I would rather have it live than hubs if given the option.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
YouTube embedding seems to be broken... Try clicking the link now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals