• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mileage went south

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Someone probably just threw the filter out...

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I could be wrong, but I think it was PetroleumJunkie412 that mentioned in another post that he found a high pressure pump replacement that would fit in place of the low pressure pump. So, no need to change the sending unit.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
didn't think to go to the parts store, figured the reservoir was dealer only. new res from LMC showed up today. hope to be running in morning.
codes; i never get any. in fact the little panel between the speedo and tach never does anything. how do i tell why it doesn't light up?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do all the little warning lights come on when you put the key to the run position? If they do, then go out then they work and there's just nothing making them turn on (computer not recognizing an issue). If they never come on at all check fuses, connectors, grounds, bulbs...

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
nope, they never come on at all. guess i need to open the panel and look at bulbs. but first i'll check fuses. good time to try to get the horn working, too. i've been putting that off for moonths. i so hate wiring problems

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
LMC has the res. smell seems to be gone. still have a random stumble. thinking maybe a wonky injector. i have some spare injectors that i can clean and see if that helps. saw a video on youtube on how to clean them. are all 2.9 injectors the same? or are there some kind of 'high performance' injectors?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
LMC has the res. smell seems to be gone. still have a random stumble. thinking maybe a wonky injector. i have some spare injectors that i can clean and see if that helps. saw a video on youtube on how to clean them. are all 2.9 injectors the same? or are there some kind of 'high performance' injectors?
2.9 in stock form is a 14lb injector. There is a four hole version of them built by Bosch for Scorpio. I run four hole injectors, but there's arguments both ways if they are a performance upgrade.

The only way to change injector sizes is to go to an aftermarket standalone or tuned ECU.

I did. It's awesome. ??

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Should note, if you get a set of fuel pressure gauges and monitor fuel pressures while driving, you can get a better idea of which direction to test. Could be anything from rust jammed up in a fuel rail or brand new filter, clogged injector baskets, to a carbon plugged intake, oil vapor issues, etc.

My original lower intake was causing fuel delivery issues due to carbon caked over the injector nozzles. It went to intake hell. I ported the crap our of a Merkur lower and slapped it on.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
was under the hood, changing a relay that would not stay in it's cover. was hoping that it was bouncing against something and causing the stumble. turned out to be the WOT relay and didn't change anything. poking around and moved the plug wire to front driver side plug; it was hanging down and touching the exhaust manifold bolt. wire was burnt half way thru. a different wire made the motor run smoother but still not up to snuff.
a few minutes ago, i went out to check the rest of the wires. did it the old way; wait until dark, lift the hood, look for sparks. no plug wire arcs. BUT...out of the corner of my eye i kept seeing an intermitint dim red flash, the coil is arcing to it's frame. there is a scorch mark that is just barely visible. i never would have suspected a coil problem because the plugs are getting power. so after work tomorrow i will change the coil

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
well, this is embarrassing. changed the coil last night. finished just as the rain started. no test drive. test drive today to the parts store and it ran like crap. definite miss, constant miss. did get the wires.
just went out to do another 'in the dark diagnosis"
no arcing around the coil. good. no arcing of plug wires. good. but the passenger side had an audible snap like a plug wire. found a burn on the middle wire but the noise was coming from below the heater box. front wire had come off the plug and was lodged down out of sight. put it back on the plug and the idle is nice and smooth.
in florida the night belongs to the mosquitos so in the morning i will do the wires

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals