• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Midland has a new MXT500 & MXT575 50-watt GMRS radio

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
For those of us interested in GMRS radio's for trail comms, Midland is now offering a MXT500 GMRS mobile radio that puts out 50 watts of power. That's quite a jump from the 15 watts the MXT115 is putting out in my Ranger.

The MXT500 50-watt MicroMobile Two-Way Radio brings clear and crisp communication with easy button access.

The USB-C port on the radio unit gives you the fastest charge time for your devices like cellphones, tablets, and handheld radios.

It also features 15 high/medium/low power channels with GMRS only channels 1-7 and 15-22.

You'll also be able to stretch that range with the MXT500's eight repeater channels and split tone capabilities. However, while you expand your range, you'll be able to keep communications to yourself with 142 privacy codes.

Take safety into your own hands as the MXT500 features NOAA Weather Radio. This way, you'll be instantly notified if any severe weather is headed your way, giving you the time you need to seek proper shelter.

Additional Features include:
  • Narrow & Wide Band
  • Channel Scan
  • Programmable Squelch
  • IP66 Waterproof and Dust Proof
  • Keypad Lock
  • Monitor Mode
  • Keystroke Tones
  • Digital Volume
  • Backlit Display
  • Silent Operation
  • Antenna included
  • Compatible with Midland GMRS/FRS handheld radios
They're also releasing a MXT575 radio this summer.

Want to expand your radio range to the furthest level without crowding your dashboard? If so, Midland's MXT575 is the perfect radio for you.

Built with 50-watts of power, the MXT575 is the most powerful radio allowed by law.

You won't have to worry about static communication because the MXT575 has clear and crisp communication with easy button access.

Fit with a fully integrated microphone, you can store the radio unit away, freeing up your dash space. A popular installation is under the passenger seat.

The MXT575 also has 15 high/low power channels with GMRS specific channels 1-7 and 15-22.

You can expand your range even further with the use of a repeater. The MXT575 has eight repeater channels, but you won't have to worry about others jumping in on your communications as the 575 also has 142 privacy codes.

Fit with NOAA Weather Radio, the MXT575 will automatically alert you anytime inclement weather is headed your way. This will give you peace and mind, allowing you to seek shelter when necessary.

Other features include:
  • Fully integrated microphone
  • Channel scan
  • Programmable Squelch
  • IP66 Waterproof and Dust Proof
  • Keypad Lock
  • Monitor Mode
  • Keystroke Tones
  • Digital Volume
  • Backlit display
  • Silent Operation
  • Antenna included
  • Compatible with GRMS/FRS handheld radios
Link:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I noticed this earlier in the week. I’m looking at getting the MXT500 to replace the MXT115 I currently have. 50 watts and NOAA weather are the selling points that have my interest.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I noticed this earlier in the week. I’m looking at getting the MXT500 to replace the MXT115 I currently have. 50 watts and NOAA weather are the selling points that have my interest.
I had the same thought. :icon_thumby:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm eyeballing this one as well since the MXT115 is planned to be moved to the 2019 eventually. There is no room for a radio that doesn't have everything on the microphone. At least not without it looking like crap.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'll probably get the MXT575 and put it in my F150. Don't have much room for a radio due to the center console.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'll probably get the MXT575 and put it in my F150. Don't have much room for a radio due to the center console.
My very issue and there is a upper center console. So, no good place to put a radio with the display and controls on the face other than on top of the dash.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not that familiar with the GMRS radios. Is there any advantage over a 2 meter HAM radio? Do they not require a license?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I am not that familiar with the GMRS radios. Is there any advantage over a 2 meter HAM radio? Do they not require a license?
GMRS does require a license but there is no test and it's good for 10 years. Also, the license is good for the enter immediate family. You get a call sign like you do with HAM and the family members would be unit 2, unit 3, etc. GRMS has the advantage of simplicity over HAM since they use channels instead of frequencies. GMRS operates in the 462 MHz - 467 MHz band, so range may not be as good as 2 meters. Radio cost isn't going to be an advantage. They range from inexpensive units around $50 up to units that cost $400.

Many people are going to GRMS from CB due to the longer range and ease of use. Some are calling GRMS CB 2.0. Though the FCC has approved CB on the FM band last year. So, it will be interesting what happens with that. In any case, GMRS is popular with the off road crowd and is gaining some popularity with the on road crowd, replacing or supplementing the CB.

EDIT: To learn more about the subject, Not A Rubicon on Youtube is a good resource to check out. GMRS is about all he does and he has done a lot of videos on the subject.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
"Must identify using FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions"

So how does that work when multiple people are using the channel in an area? Like say our own crew in a park?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Nobody ever does that. When I was a Trooper the agency had a call sign of KA2351, but we rarely spit it out.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
"Must identify using FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions"

So how does that work when multiple people are using the channel in an area? Like say our own crew in a park?
Technically, it's every 15 minutes and at the end of transmission. Not following that requirement is not going to get the FCC to come down on you.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I went from CB to 2 meter. I like 2 meter and the groups I run with also have 2 meter. One of my friends has gotten into GMRS also because he runs with people that have them. I haven't gotten a chance to talk with him about it. Thanks for the lesson on it.

I will probably stick with the 2 meter. I have transmitted over 25 miles on low power setting at 25 watts before without a repeater. Transmitting long range can come in handy sometimes. I usually give my call sign when I first sign in. Sometimes I sign out with the call sign also.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I went from CB to 2 meter. I like 2 meter and the groups I run with also have 2 meter. One of my friends has gotten into GMRS also because he runs with people that have them. I haven't gotten a chance to talk with him about it. Thanks for the lesson on it.

I will probably stick with the 2 meter. I have transmitted over 25 miles on low power setting at 25 watts before without a repeater. Transmitting long range can come in handy sometimes. I usually give my call sign when I first sign in. Sometimes I sign out with the call sign also.
Nothing wrong with that. I have my GMRS and HAM licenses. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. HAM will give you more range but is more complex to operate. It will be interesting to see what FM CB will do once the radios are available and not insanely priced. With me being in SAR and dealing with other units as well as law enforcement and fire departments, I never know what system they are going to be using and have to hedge my bets.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Every time I start chasing this rabbit down the hole of communications... the more I just want to let my dog chase it around a minute before I shoot it.

After winning a pair of handhelds at the trail ride last year... I figured I would put a mobile unit in the Ranger/Bronco and have the pair of handhelds to share and/or use.

I had pretty much settled in on a MXT275 and they come out with new offerings. I'm stuck at "is the juice worth the squeeze" with a $400 price point.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Every time I start chasing this rabbit down the hole of communications... the more I just want to let my dog chase it around a minute before I shoot it.

After winning a pair of handhelds at the trail ride last year... I figured I would put a mobile unit in the Ranger/Bronco and have the pair of handhelds to share and/or use.

I had pretty much settled in on a MXT275 and they come out with new offerings. I'm stuck at "is the juice worth the squeeze" with a $400 price point.
It depends on the use. If it’s just for trail rides and you are sticking with the group, you don’t need that much power.

More power is for more distance and for repeaters. Of course, if the recipient doesn’t have enough power to make the distance you did, they still won’t be able to talk to you even if they can hear you.

For what we did in the Badlands, a 15 watt radio should be more than enough. I’m not even sure if they make a less powerful mobile unit.

Now, if you are looking to make contact with the camp, a more powerful radio might make sense.

GMRS is “line of sight” though. If there is a ridge, hill, or too much vegetation, you still won’t make contact. The radio signal won’t bend over the ridge or hill down to the radios.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals