• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Micro SD card Help

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I bought a micro SD card for my phone. The phone recognizes it with no problem but my computer won't. It came with an adapter to so it'll fit into a card reader. I have tried it with my card reader and another comp. with the built -in card readers. Any ideas on what to try?

It's a PNY micro 4GB.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
idk for sure, but i think the card reader has to have the capability to read cards over 4gb. my old digital camera couldnt use 4gb cards.... maybe thats the problem? not a computer wiz though, so idk.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, check the specs on your card reader for card size...if it says it supports larger than 4GB (most do nowadays unless it's an older one) then it should work...

Try it on a front port of your computer if you have them...these are usually better for quick connect devices like adaptors and cameras...

Also check the USB standard used...1.1 or 2...some computers will not work with USB 2 and USB1.0 is not supported by newer computers...

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. The reader is about 7yrs. old. maybe i'll buy a different one to see if it works.

My comp has USB 2.0 is that what you meant by checking the USB standard?

Edit: I forgot to mention, I can use the reader for the card in my camera. It's only 64Mb though.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, the computer would be either 1.1 or 2 and older readers may be 1.0 or 1.1 and have a limitation on how large of a card they can support...

You said the card came with a reader though...so it should work...

One of the main problems I ran into with adaptors is the computer doesn't recognize them...but they actually are working...

The workaround that I found that always worked (unless you have a port naming issue where a network port and the USB port are conflicting) is to plug the card into the reader, plug the reader into a front USB port, open Windows Explorer, and the removable media should show up...just click on it and you can copy the images over to your computer...a bit of extra work but it almost always works that way...

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It must have been the size of the card. I went and bought a new card reader and it worked. Woo Hoo.

I can still use my old one for the SD card for my camera.

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals