• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

miata engine??

acousticrawk

Reaction score
maybe a dumb question, but i got the new grassroots today, and...well, i noticed alot of miata engine swaps have been done in cars. would it be worth while in a ranger? im sure itd fit, and DOHC with some good ponies... and still pretty good gas mileage for my prerunner....

just seeing if im crazy...haha, lemme know what y'all think.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
isn't the miata fwd? doesn't matter anyway . i have thought about a hybrid dohc turbo into a ranger but don't have the time to do it

acousticrawk

Reaction score
miata's are RWD im pretty sure. im not much into tuners, but ive heard good stuff about that engine.

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
maybe a dumb question, but i got the new grassroots today, and...well, i noticed alot of miata engine swaps have been done in cars. would it be worth while in a ranger? im sure itd fit, and DOHC with some good ponies... and still pretty good gas mileage for my prerunner....

just seeing if im crazy...haha, lemme know what y'all think.
i'd go VW TDI diesel.50+ miles per gallon and turbo.:rockon:

72 Fozda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Duratec used in current Rangers and the Mazda MZR used in Miatas are based on the same design. Among other differences, the 2.3 Duratec has a longer stroke.

Basically, it already is a truck version of the Miata engine.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Duratec used in current Rangers and the Mazda MZR used in Miatas are based on the same design. Among other differences, the 2.3 Duratec has a longer stroke.

Basically, it already is a truck version of the Miata engine.
probably has more torque then the miata engine. read some where that a miata guy installed a kia sportage (which is a mazda design sold overseas) that he installed for better performance.

i have a sportage and the damn thing cannot fight its way out of a wet paper bag
the fact is when the miata guys want performance they go to turbo engines or ......5.0s

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you happen to be going to South America anytime soon, you can pick up a mazda three rotor rotary. Spin that thing up, add about 20 lbs of boost, some wings, and you'll fly!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
why not jut look for an older rx-7 with the rotary engine then?

72 Fozda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
why not jut look for an older rx-7 with the rotary engine then?
RX-7 is a twin rotor engine. That engine (13B, I believe) was actually available as an option in the Mazda B Series pickup in the late 70s.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, as far as I know (which isn't much) the three rotor was never sold in the US.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
what would be a strong, decent HP and torqu 4cylinder to swap in, that is already on a RWD platform.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
, and i want a 4cyl... cummins, cat, and PS are not even considerable. i want the 4cylinder for the weight, economy, and simplicity to work on. i def. liek the TDI idea though...very interesting...especially sense the conversions to VO are getting cheaper.
you don't want a cummins then they weigh aprox.750lbs where a 5.0/302 weighs somewhere around 460 lbs . you also would have to trim the engine crossmember for oil pan clearance.

need to be able to do about 115mph too w/o much effort. i still want something thatll haul across the desert you know?
better plan on re-gearing for the cummins also they only turn 3k rpms

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
maybe a nissan SR20 in a ranger? or what about the good ol' 2.3T?

acousticrawk

Reaction score
yeah, the 2.3t is what im thinking. what exactly would i need to buy? and whats the difference between the dual spark plug head and the single? is the dual for the turbo engine? is the turbo engine pretty reliable? cause this is going to be a DD too, kinda, ill have a second vehicle.

i have a 93 ranger with a 2.3...so with that being said...if i buy a new short block (cause my engine in 250,000 miles weak) which one do i need, and also, what parts do i need to find at a junkyard, ebay, ect. or is it cheaper just to buy a turbo kit?

Last edited:

acousticrawk

Reaction score
ok, so i answered my own question, i have a DSP head. haha. i think im just going to run the NA engine, but a new one, w/ a good intake and exhaust, have the head decked to raise the compression, port polish ect. and just keep it stock from there. also, ill port match the intake and exhaust manifolds. would the bigger mustang MAF add any HP?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals