• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Metallic screeching sound from back end

amarotica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, my truck is making a really aweful metallic screeching sound when I first drive in the morning or after sitting for an hour or more. It's not a belt or brakes I don't think because 1. It doesn't do it when stationary and 2. It only screeches for about the first 30 seconds of driving away from my house at 10-30mph. After about 30 seconds it stops which leads me to believe SOMETHING needs lubricated as it just started and got worse over the last two weeks. I will change fluids but I wanted to see if anyone could suggest a place to start... This is what I am thinking it could possibly be:
Driveshaft U joints grease
Transfer case oil
Differential oil
Rear axle grease

Also it seems to be louder when I press the gas or "engine brake" and when I shift to neutral or press the clutch it gets slightly quieter. I'm 99% sure it's coming from the rear or center of the vehicle behind the drivers seat (cab) and NOT the front.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
U-joint with a dry cap would be my first guess. Put the trans or t-case in neutral, chock the wheels, and see if there is any play in the rear driveshaft u-joints. It might be a small amount of movement or a lot depending on how many needle bearings have turned to dust.

Rear brakes would be my second guess, the Astro van I drive at work had a similar issue. In the morning it would make a godawful amount of noise when moving and the brakes would actually lock up if you touched the pedal in the first 100 feet or so of travel... super annoying but after that it was fine all day. Turned out that the brake shoes and drums were totally worn out.

I don't know if your year has a 2 piece rear driveshaft with carrier bearing or not but that would be my 3rd guess, bad bearing.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your heat shield. I just changed tranny and transfer case fluid, gear lube, and pinion seal. I thought I over-tightened the pinion and killed the pinion bearings, but I actually knocked the heat shield loose and it was dragging on the driveshaft and screeching. I went straight to the u joints and pinionbearing, then found that.

amarotica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks to all with the suggestions! I went and got some gear oil and WD-40 cause I thought the sound ended up coming from the rear differential but before I opened it up, I decided to spray the U joints with WD-40 and the noise stopped immediately! I guess the grease I tried using on the U joints before just didn't penetrate far enough into the system... Stupid me for 1. Not having WD-40 already and 2. For not trying that in the beginning!

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I doubt WD40 will solve anything for long. U-Joint damage may have already begun so be vigilant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals