• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

message from ammo maker.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In Michigan it really isn't about hunting a bait pile... even placing bait just to view deer is illegal. It's about maintaining a correct deer heard without supplementing the deer's natural food source. It's natures way of not overpopulating the herd. It also has to do with the transmission of disease. Muzzle to muzzle contact of bovine quickly spreads disease.
Kind of an eh thing there.

They are going to use the same salt licks as cattle if nothing else, same for piles of grain at bin sites and "oopses" in the field.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In NJ and PA the state DEP have a ton of corn fields just for deer. They plant them every year and just let them grow for the deer to eat. :dunno:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Kind of an eh thing there.

They are going to use the same salt licks as cattle if nothing else, same for piles of grain at bin sites and "oopses" in the field.
Oopses in the field are open to interpretation by the MDNR... are they really oopses when it happens directly in front of a bow stand? All I know is whatever we can do to prevent the spread of things such as Bovine Tuberculosis... CWD and anything else that plagues the current deer herd should be taken seriously. I mean after all... these recommendations are coming from wildlife biologists.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
In NJ and PA the state DEP have a ton of corn fields just for deer. They plant them every year and just let them grow for the deer to eat. :dunno:
A 20 acre cornfield is far different then a pile of corn, beets, apples or carrots.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think we have any laws against feeding deer... I do know it is illegal to bait them during deer season... I don't know anyone that feeds them at any time though. Most people try to keep them out, the little jerks are very good at ruining gardens and fruit trees.

Back on topic, I saw some 9mm yesterday... it was in a ziplock bag, labeled with masking tape... not even a quantity listed on the bag but "$60 FIRM." Box of 44 Mag for $80. Hard pass

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oopses in the field are open to interpretation by the MDNR... are they really oopses when it happens directly in front of a bow stand? All I know is whatever we can do to prevent the spread of things such as Bovine Tuberculosis... CWD and anything else that plagues the current deer herd should be taken seriously. I mean after all... these recommendations are coming from wildlife biologists.
Just saying as far as your muzzle to muzzle disease thing, plenty of chances for them to rub noses otherwise.

I have heard more about the disease transmission thing in dry years when the water sources dry up and they are forced to congregate around the few creeks and ponds that still have water than picking on salt licks and other snacks. Bluetongue is a biggie along with CWD.

If anything we are overpopulated here.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Just saying as far as your muzzle to muzzle disease thing, plenty of chances for them to rub noses otherwise.

I have heard more about the disease transmission thing in dry years when the water sources dry up and they are forced to congregate around the few creeks and ponds that still have water than picking on salt licks and other snacks. Bluetongue is a biggie along with CWD.

If anything we are overpopulated here.
IMHO... all the more reason to just not feed the deer.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But... what of the rabbits george!

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Wag your finger at the deer and tell them they are not allowed to eat rabbit food. If they persist in doing so, shoot them to teach them a lesson.

Problem solved!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
IMHO... all the more reason to just not feed the deer.
I honestly never knew this was an issue, I figured if the state fed the deer I could feed the deer since the law is only against hunting on bait piles. Really never thought about transmission of diseases.

Though its fairly hard for me to NOT feed the deer sometimes. When I feed my chickens and ducks the deer will often show up later and clean up the leftovers. I can't feed them in the coupes because then mice get in there and it makes the coupes disgusting so i have to feed them in the yard. Maybe I can just plant some stuff spread out around my property in the spring so they will still come to feed but not be eating from the same exact stuff?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rabbits are way worse. I killed 17 of them a couple years ago - they were living under my porch and chewing holes through the plastic lattice I have up to keep them out. They would eat all of the grass and make big bare spots in my yard and dig holes all over. I have found them in the engine bay of cars chewing on wires and hoses before too.

I think they took the hint. I have one that lives under my kid's playhouse, and that's it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wag your finger at the deer and tell them they are not allowed to eat rabbit food. If they persist in doing so, shoot them to teach them a lesson.

Problem solved!
I won't shoot a deer. :no2:

I'll eat them when friends shoot them and give me some meat, but I won't hunt them. No moral objection to hunting, I'm just to damn lazy to deal with all the work envolved afterwards...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I honestly never knew this was an issue, I figured if the state fed the deer I could feed the deer since the law is only against hunting on bait piles. Really never thought about transmission of diseases.

Though its fairly hard for me to NOT feed the deer sometimes. When I feed my chickens and ducks the deer will often show up later and clean up the leftovers. I can't feed them in thr coupes because then mice get in there and it makes the coupes disgusting so i have to feed them in the yard. Maybe I can just plant some stuff spread out around my property in the spring so they will still come to feed but not be eating from the same exact stuff?
Deer will do what deer do... they have to eat to survive.

Take a look at some of the food plot mixes on the market... till up a spot or two (the larger the better to avoid to many animals in a small space) and sow some seed. They have some clover mixes that are actually perennial and come back every year for several year without doing anything.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Rabbits are way worse. I killed 17 of them a couple years ago - they were living under my porch and chewing holes through the plastic lattice I have up to keep them out. They would eat all of the grass and make big bare spots in my yard and dig holes all over. I have found them in the engine bay of cars chewing on wires and hoses before too.

I think they took the hint. I have one that lives under my kid's playhouse, and that's it.
Now rabbits I will shoot once in a while because they are delicious and easy to clean. But they never cause any problems on my property. I have no lawn or gardens I care about them destroying and I've never had them chew up anything. Chipmunks and squirrels however are my mortal enemy and chew on everything.

Coyotes are a big issue not only for going after my chickens and ducks, but they freaking piss on everything. My goats usually keeps them away though. Coyotes are terrified of goats. One of my goats was yelling one night and I heard a commotion outside, when I went to check the goat had blood dripping off its horns. Pretty sure it killed the coyote but I neve found it. Big momma goat even attacked my friends horse once. :huh:

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I thought about eating the rabbits but thus far they have all been infested with fleas. That combined with the risk of tularemia makes me not want to eat the ones in my yard... have eaten plenty that I shot out in the woods though.

Usually our winters will kill off the weak ones and I won't have problems in the summer. I'm fine with them being there if they're not destroying things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals