• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MegaSquirt PNP2

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I took the plunge and bought the MSPNP2 and a wide band O2 sensor for my 5.0. I was pleased that it started on the first try after swapping the ECU and once I calibrated the sensors using Tuning Studio it idles. Next step is to install the wide band and calibrate it to get some more accurate AFR. Once I get the idle smoothed out and generally good running I am going to swap the distributor and TFI for EDIS. I've had all the EDIS components laying around for a year but couldn't install them without some kind of tuning chip or ECU change. The learning curve is not as steep as I thought it would be on the Tuning Studio software so I'm pleased with that.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I am seriously looking into buying hp tuners to be able to tune around the house. Megasquirt has their crap together. Please keep us updated with any tuning info.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I am seriously looking into buying hp tuners to be able to tune around the house. Megasquirt has their crap together. Please keep us updated with any tuning info.
When you are ready to buy give my son a call at Glenn's Auto Performance. He owns the company and was once a member here back when he was building his V8 Ranger. He deals mainly with LS platforms now but does have access to a wide range of products. Check out his web site when you are able. His name is Glenn Brown.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When you are ready to buy give my son a call at Glenn's Auto Performance. He owns the company and was once a member here back when he was building his V8 Ranger. He deals mainly with LS platforms now but does have access to a wide range of products. Check out his web site when you are able. His name is Glenn Brown.
Thank you very much. I will definitely give him a call. I eventually want to build something ls. ? Is wideband tuning needed for stock/n/a engine tuning or just for boosted applications.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
its always best practice....even tuning your weed whacker.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Installation was pretty easy-not too many wires to deal with. Minor confusion over the analog out wires from the LC-2 Wideband controller. The yellow wire needs to be connected to the gauge and to Pin 29 on the ECU. Once all that was done some calibrations are done which takes a couple minutes and she fires up. I didn't like the way it was running after all that, so I reloaded the base tune and reset the timing per the instructions and used the auto tune to get it idling better. It drives fairly well now. The Tuner Studio software is really nice for getting the initial idle and tune set up through the Auto-tuning function. Now I'm trying to understand my data logs and determine what needs to be fine tuned. I can already say that it idles better and pulls stronger from cruising speeds. There is a very helpful forum over at stangnet.com:

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/steves-megasquirt-tunerstudio-help-thread.888730/

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update on the tuning process: Idle seems to be the hardest thing to get settled. I opted to go closed loop and Steve over at

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/steves-megasquirt-tunerstudio-help-thread.888730/"][/URL

is very knowledgable and helpful--even sent me some base tunes to get things moving. My truck is normally aspirated and I'm running regular gas, so we had to back the fuel throttle timing off to stop detonation. Once we got the idle smoothed out the rest seemed easy. I can definitely tell its got more power and I'm ready to start installing the EDIS.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Good deal. Thanks for the update. So far I am still waiting for hp tuners to cover my pcm. I had my handheld on it going down the road. Anything under 3k and my timing is 20-21 degrees. As soon as I go over 3k it hits 36 degrees. Crap factory emissions tuning at its best. I would love to even a lot of things out when hp starts supporting my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals