• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MegaSquirt Computer on a 4.0L V6

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am new to the ranger station, and i was wondering if anyone out there has put a MegaSquirt aftermarket computer system in a ford ranger or explorer with a 4.0L V6. I am in the final stages of hooking it up and had a few question about tuning it.

Thanks

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This isn't a tech forum, so I suspect this will get moved. I've been running Megasquirt (Version 3) since December in my truck. It's a four banger, but it doesn't matter WHAT kind of engine you're running, Megasquirt will manage it, and manage it well!

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
can megasquirt be done do a 2.9 computer? Anyone?

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We have the computer completely built, and ready to set up, but i had some questions on the configurations of the some of the sensors, such as, coolant temp., air temp., and the IAC.

Thanks

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I thought it was an erectile dysfuncion remedy. :taunt:
Moved to V6/4.0 Forum.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We have the computer completely built, and ready to set up, but i had some questions on the configurations of the some of the sensors, such as, coolant temp., air temp., and the IAC.

Thanks
Sorry, this thread got moved, I didn't subscribe and thus, I lost track of it. I know how USELESS the Megasquirt forums can be, so if you have questions, ask me and I'll do my best to answer them.

But first, what hardware and firmware versions are you using? Are you driving spark with your system?

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The hardware is MSII, and the board is a v3.3. The firmware is v2.862, and it is a later model motor, so it has the coil packs and EEC-V, so we are going run the ford EDIS-6 ignition.

Thank you

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The hardware is MSII, and the board is a v3.3. The firmware is v2.862, and it is a later model motor, so it has the coil packs and EEC-V, so we are going run the ford EDIS-6 ignition.

Thank you
MS II is a different animal than MSI, which I'm running, but the sensor set-up should be similar. If not, I can contact MegaScott and ask HIM on your behalf.

What kind of help do you need?

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The things we currently can not find out are: 1) Coolant Temp. calibration values 2) TPS calibration values 3) IAC PWM parameters 4) # of squirts and if it is Alternating or Sequential. These ones seem to be hard to find, but I greatly apprecitate any help you can offer.

Thank you

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The things we currently can not find out are: 1) Coolant Temp. calibration values 2) TPS calibration values 3) IAC PWM parameters 4) # of squirts and if it is Alternating or Sequential. These ones seem to be hard to find, but I greatly apprecitate any help you can offer.

Thank you
If you're using the GM sensors you don't have to worry about anything. If you're using Ford sensors, you need a resistor in the Megasquirt board to compensate.

How you set up your injection pulses is entirely up to you, though you can only fire alternating or BATCH. (Megasquirt doesn't do sequential.) I have only four cylinders, but I use alternating, which cuts my REQ_FUEL value down and makes the thing easier to tune at idle.

The number of squirts = the number of cylinders you have. In your case, the value should be six.

You don't really need to calibrate your TPS. When you're setting up your acceleration enrichments, flood clear and overrun (fuel cut off during decel) you'll need to plug in the values for your TPS in the appropriate fields. Basically, all this involves is putting the key on (but not to "start") and checking the TPS values at no throttle and wide open throttle respectively. This is done in Megatune, using the "Tools" menu pull-down.

I hope this helps you!

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much, that did help us, and i think we pretty much got it down. I am sure we will have more questions about this system, so i will post back if we do.

Thank you again

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you very much, that did help us, and i think we pretty much got it down. I am sure we will have more questions about this system, so i will post back if we do.

Thank you again
You're welcome!

I think you'll find the system pretty easy to use once you get into it. After you've set up your initial tune, plug a datalog into MegaLog Viewer and analyze it. The computer will "tune" your VE bins for you, seriously cutting down on the amount of work that has to be done in order to tune it well.

The really nice thing about Megasquirt is that you can set it up any way you like and tune it for the way you drive.

Good luck!

rangerracer738

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a few more questions if your still around. We got the megasquirt in and running. It idles great, and we are in the proccess of driving it and logging data. I need to know where i can pick up my tach signal from with the EDIS-6 ignition.

Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals