• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Meet Lucy the three wheeled differential-less Ranger

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
(Yes, a friend and I named my truck Lucy. Don’t ask why, long story)
Well today has been interesting. I started off today going for a windows down drive with my girlfriend as it’s finally high 30s out and we’re out of the sub-zero temps for now (it’s a Wisconsin thing you wouldn’t understand). It was sunny out and life was great.
...Until the diff blew up just before a roundabout. We coasted into a wayside and soon realized we had a Mopar issue as every gear was a neutral. I left it in gear when I went under the truck and was surprised to see the driveshaft spinning (I didn’t know what happened prior). So we called for a ride and left the truck there til we could figure out what to do seeing I’m in high school and money is scarce.
Jump to about 7 pm. We’re on our way to the truck with a friends Silverado and a tow strap ready to take her home. Of course, Murphy’s law couldn’t wait to jump in and about two blocks from where we started we ran into a slightly major issue. I felt a wobble so I look out my side mirror and I watched my wheel and axle slide out from my truck and bounce away.
yeah that was interesting. I know you love carnage so I’ll see if I can get my hands on the diff pics.
ust want to add I absolutely love this truck and I will try to pull all the money together to get her back on the road but as I said I’m in high school so there’s a chance she may have met her fate.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awww, that sucks big time. Hope you can figure things out.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The good thing is, you can likely find a complete axle to put in it at a junkyard or off marketplace/ Craigslist for next to no money. Good luck!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I agree...

You shop around you should be able to buy a complete rear axle very reasonable.

I will say you can probably fix this way cheaper then you buy another car to drive.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Aren't C-clips just a wonderful invention...

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
The guys are right though. You should be able to find a good replacement at the junkyard or buy using copart or online.

Just make sure you factor in the costs of PB blaster and some tools if you don't have them.

Lucky is lucky it has you. Most people would have left him abandoned on the side of the road.

I see good times ahead.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
oh that sucks. the above guys are right, get an entire axle assembly and spend an hour or two swapping it out. just get new u bolts. I have seen a full 7.5" ranger axle go for 20 bucks and not sell here in the Indy area. (to be fair, it did leak oil, but was otherwise usable and good condition) I think you can get an entire axe assembly for 150 at the local pull apart, that includes the drums/ brakes.

AJ

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here in Wisconsin they seem to be going for 400-500 bucks. It’s costing me about 1500 to fix the whole thing. Really sucks. Unfortunately still without my lil truck but I can’t wait to get back behind the wheel again :) everybody seems to be convinced that I’m a nut job for fixing it but it’s worth it to me

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the club, lol. Those who never really owned these trucks don’t understand how easy they are to love.

As far as the axle goes, you should be able to find a deal, try looking like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace or the like. Ideally you’ll want an 8.8” rear, but in a pinch you could use a 7.5”. The important thing is to get the same gear ratio. Other than that, any rear from a Ranger will bolt in. Bronco II rears should fit, but they will all be 7.5”. Explorer rear axles will work up to 2002, but will require some fabrication to work because they are spring under instead of spring over and from mid 90’s up they have disk rear brakes which isn’t a bad conversion.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's the selection of different rearends available in 1998.

drum), 7.5" ring gear, 10" brakes, 3.73 ratio
(drum), 7.5" ring gear, 10" brakes, 4.10 ratio
(drum), 7.5" ring gear, 9" brakes, 3.45 ratio
(drum), 7.5" ring gear, 9" brakes, 3.73 ratio
(drum), 7.5" ring gear, 9" brakes, 4.10 ratio
(drum), 8.8" ring gear, 10" brakes, 3.55 ratio
(drum), 8.8" ring gear, 10" brakes, 3.73 ratio
(drum), 8.8" ring gear, 9" brakes, 3.55 ratio
(drum), 8.8" ring gear, 9" brakes, 3.73 ratio

I picked the 8.8, 10 inch brakes, 3.55 ratio. Look like you should be able to get one for around $200.

Here's what I found in Wisconsin.

Rear Axle Assembly
Ford Ranger
157,917​
A​
QD7307
$200​
Jantz's Yard 4 - ARAPro USA-WI(Kenosha) Request_Quote 1-800-554-4770 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
552​
Rear Axle Assembly
Ford Ranger
64535 8.8 3.55 TAG #S357M 10"BRAKES
117,000​
A​
G98068
$Call​
Blaines Auto & Truck Parts USA-WI(Slinger) Request_Quote 262-644-8808 Request_Insurance_Quote
595​
Rear Axle Assembly
Ford Ranger
4X2-141K
141,208​
A​
$250​
Tisler Salvage Inc. USA-WI(Reedsville) Request_Quote 920-864-7631 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm surprised @RonD hasn't chimed in - it's a Red Ranger; of course you are going to fix it.

$1,500 sounds a bit extravagant, but I don't know if that includes the lift on the flatdeck as well or not.

2 hours is probably pushing it even for a shop, when you include bleeding the brakes et al, but I they better not be quoting over 4. So, even with the outrageous local prices locally ($150/hr), it should be less than a grand. I, of course, would spend the money on tools and pizza for my buddies, and do it myself. But I like doing that kind of thing and have facilities to do it (paved driveaway as minimum).

Don't limit yourself to '98 axles - any '93-09 axle works; I'd stay away from older and BII ones, they aren't quite right. From what I can tell, it is a 2wd, so ratio isn't critical - the sensor is in the axle, so speedo won't be affected. Personally, a Ranger will never be fast, so I would go with lowest ratios (4.10s) so it would at least be quick- relatively . (All things considered, I pay a few extra $$$ for an FXII axle with Torsen for the good limited slip). An Expo axle can be made work with lowering brackets from an F-150 and has advantages of not only being stronger, but the discs will retain the axle even in event of c clip failure.

p.s. There's lots of Canucks on the forum and we totally get driving with windows down as soon as the heat wave get above 5C.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I consider if something is worth fixing, the main decision is... could I buy another vehicle for the same cost of the repair?

1,500 bucks is alot of money for a repair, but you can't really buy a reliable truck with that either, so it's worth fixing...

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to thank all of you for all the help. I went with an axle from Tisler Salvage in reedsville (not the same axle previously mentioned, but one like it off an 03). Not lying when I say I drove our lawnmower to the junkyard. It’s normally a half hour drive but with the lawnmower it took 2 hours one way. I threw the axle in the little lawn trailer we have and chugged on home 😂😂. Had to stop a couple of times to refuel and cool down but it was entirely worth it.
I ended up having a local shop install it as I was lacking a lift/ jack stands (along with time as classes took up most of my time) and the truck was towed there anyway to begin with. And yes, it was a little less than 1500 bucks. I did have them give me the old axle back so I could take a look at the carnage and get a few bucks when I scrap it. Obviously I’ll give you guys all the pics you want as I know you love carnage 😂

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We want pictures of you towing the axle to the shop with your lawn mower...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals