• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda vs ranger front hub

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 B4000 front end torn down. When I pulled the rotor off of the spindle there was a piece of rubber left on the spindle. Looked like it was up against the seal on the back side of the rotor. It rides on the same surface as the hub seal does but doesn't look like it was connected to the hub seal at all. Looking at a breakdown of a ranger, it looks like a metal piece that in the Haynes manual they call a dust seal. But this dust seal in the book looks like a metal piece. They look nothing alike but they are pretty much in the same place. Is there a difference between the two?
One last question, The spindle seal that is in the back of the spindle where the needle bearing is on mine is a one piece seal with a metal flange that sets inside a plastic ring. When you get a new seal from the parts store they give you a flat rubber O ring and then the plastic ring and a metal cup with a rubber seal going around it. I think this may all tie in together but I am at a lost.
Can anyone explain to me the whole backside of the hub and spindle? Or even better does anyone have a good breakdown of the hub/spindle? Is this the only place that maybe Mazda and Ford differ?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
theres variations in seals that fit the same application.

the 96 mazda has all the same parts axle wise as the ranger.

did you look in the tech library?

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
By any chance cam you explain what the flat rubber seal was on the backside of the hub? And why so many parts come with a spindle seal kit? And how all the parts are supposed to go together. Sorry for the stupid questions but this one has really got me stumped

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
its a slinger/spacer

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like Bobby said, there are a few different ways these are put together.

You take off the wheel. The thing shaped like a top hat is the lockout. It has an o-ring that seals it against the hub/rotor. Take off the lock nut, washer and bearing adjustment nut and pull off the hub/rotor. Now you are looking at the spindle. 5 nuts and the spindle comes off. That's where it can vary, but it isn't that important. There is usually a disk in there that you can pull off by hand. That is generally all plastic. On the axle outer, there is a rubber seal on a steel disk that you can't pull off by hand. I think I've seen a felt pad on some. Don't need it. Inside the spindle there is a seal which you can pull out with a finger and then the roller bearings. That all lasts forever if you put a finger of grease on it once in a while.

If you post pictures of the parts we can help you better. And if you have a Haynes or Chiltons, those are very confusing. If I remember, I will try and get you a picture from the Ford manual.

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I have them laid out. The one on the right is the new kit. I know the rubber on the top has a metal sleeve that has to be pressed on the axle. The sleeve is at the machine so now. But the center is what came out of it. The seal has a metal ring around it that the kit on the right doesn't have. ? That is one of my questions. And the rubber ring below the spindle, I can not find anywhere. The best I can figure is, is this takes the place of the dust shield. Anyone have any knowledge on this? Or even if any of this is right?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
Ok well it's not letting me upload pics. Saying something about security tokens, whatever that is. Keeps giving me an UPLOAD FAILED. Thanks though

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Ok well it's not letting me upload pics. Saying something about security tokens, whatever that is. Keeps giving me an UPLOAD FAILED. Thanks though
I cant post pics from my computer, ( Security Tokens or whatever) but I have no problem posting pics from my phone, Some resizing my be required tho.:icon_thumby:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My suggestion, get free forum posting software like Tapatalk, it's really really easy to post photos.

These photos help any?

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

this side?

Last edited:

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
My suggestion, get free forum posting software like Tapatalk, it's really really easy to post photos.

These photos help any?

It may be the grease seal that is the rubber piece that goes behind the hub but mine is flat and I can't find a part#. But my bill of material says that I don't have that seal. But who knows maybe someone before me added that in

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
Ok I think I have it finally figured out. The first pic is of the spindle, the rubber seal that went behind the hub, the old seal and plastic washer, and then the new kit.
The second pic is of the old seal with the metal rigid seal. It has to be pressed in just like any other seal. The new kit has a soft rubber seal that just falls down on top of the bearing. It's soft and pliable like an o-ring. I have installed the bearing in the spindle and with the new seal in it, it has about an 1/8" of play between the seal {with it sitting on top of the bearing} and the bottom of the plastic washer. Which I think that it will wobble in there and cause it to leak. Do I need to pull the bearing back out and only seat it in just a little so that the seal is held in place by compression from the plastic washer? Or do I find the seal with the metal ring?
And the third pic is of the rubber/metal ring that was behind the hub that I can not find anywhere. It's pretty much flat but it does have a little bit of a concave design around it. I think this may be a dust shield since it did not have one on it. But I did bend one of them up pretty bad while removing it. I can beat it back somewhat flat but was looking for new ones and to make sure that it is like it is supposed to be.
Sorry about the cut off pics but that is the only way I could get it to fit. But I'm sure that there is enough there to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks ya'll for all the help.

Attachments

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I don't think I've seen a problem replacing any of that on two trucks, 93 and 94, with Dana 35s I think the old seal wasn't really a seal but more of a dust and water slinger. Also the inner spindle bearing doesn't get anywhere near the amount of Grease the wheel bearings get, and of course the axle only turns when it's in 4-wheel drive, which is not very often for most of us. The big grease seal on the back of the rotor, takes a good whack and a big block of wood to get it seated. We always replace them even though a lot of people don't.

Last edited:

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
Where do you find the shield on the back of the hub that you just whack with a hammer? I'll replace them if I could just find them. And during the winter months I may run from work to the house with it in 4 wheel drive and the seal with a metal ring just makes a lot more sense to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals