• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda M50D-R1 internal speedo drive gear

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took my stock "white" speedo drive gear to TACOMA SPEEDOMETER Monday and it was mangled pretty badly.He took one look and asked if it was a manual and did the speedo work when I removed gear,I said yes its a manual and no, it did not work.He said to feel inside the hole it came out of for worn gear inside-if it is damaged what is the name of this part that a dealership parts person will know and has anyone here done this or a simular repair?Btw he rec "red" gear replacement after internal issue addressed. 1994 b4000 5spd 4x4 Mazda M50D-R1

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
If the gear you pulled out was white I'm pretty sure that it's technically a Jeep gear that will "sorta" work in a Ranger/Ford transmission (23 teeth). The helix angle on the teeth is juuuuust a bit different. Generally resulting in your issue.

the gear you'd see through the hole is the "drive gear"

The gear you'd pull out is the "driven gear"

They make multiple tooth counts of each.

Captain Ledd said:
Drive gear teeth (the gear on the output shaft) X Axle Ratio X Tire revolutions per mile

Divide that number by 1001

This will be the driven (the one that's REAL easy to change) gear tooth number.

EDIT:

Tire revolutions per mile:

20168 (divided by) "Tire diameter in inches".
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

Ford gears are roughly 1/2 way down. They mention a few specifically for the BW1350/1354 cases and ford manuals. sorry, don't have time to type out exactly which ones are which currently. but ti'll give you some options.

Drive gear teeth should be available in 6,7,8 tooth counts and driven gear teeth 16-21.

Play around and see if you can't get something else to work.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thank you for your reply but it was not a "Jeep" gear but a 17 tooth FORD C3DZ-C (C3DZ-17271-C) OE part. The information you gave on the "DRIVE GEAR" teeth is what I needed and then some.The number of teeth and options is awesome ..thank you very much.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals