• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maxtrac 2/3" Lowering Kit - Use New 3" Drop Leafs Instead of Rear Flip Kit

Brotatochips

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I've got a 1998 Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD that I'm looking to do a 2/3" drop on. I've not done suspension work on a vehicle of mine before, but I work at a body shop now and have access to a proper lift so I'm looking to pull the trigger on this. I've zeroed in on the Maxtrac 2/3" kit, but the truck also has the infamous Ranger lean. I've read that new leafs/coils usually do the trick to correct it and I figure that's what needs to happen with mine too.

So putting that information together, I have found 3" drop leaf springs that I would like to use on in the rear so I can correct the lean and achieve the 3" drop at the same time. So I am looking to just buy the coil springs and shocks listed in the Maxtrac kit separately in conjunction with the leafs to get the overall 2/3" drop I'm wanting. My two questions are:

1) Would using the shocks listed in the kit still be appropriate to use with the lower leaf springs instead of the flip kit? (I figure a 3" drop is a 3" drop, but maybe the shock mounting location will be different?)
2) I've read about "eccentrics" bushings being used to correct the negative camber? Would 2.5" bushings be appropriate to correct that? Or would it be a smaller size I'd need?

I apologize if this is a lot of asking for specific information for nothing, but I'm sure I can do the installation, I just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with the parts I order. Maybe there's a better solution to fix the lean and get the drop that I'm unaware of? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD Single Cab
Maxtrac Kit: HERE
3" Drop Leafs: HERE
Maxtrac Front Shocks (from kit): HERE
compressed 8.60", extended 13.30"
Maxtrac Rear Shocks (from kit): HERE
compressed 13.40", extended 22.30"

Isk Stark

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
5"
Tire Size
The rear shock mounting location won't be different with the drop leafs, so the rear shock ought to work.

The valving of the shock shouldn't matter since they're short stroke anyway.

I did the drop coils in front and flip kit in the rear (3/3) and did not eyeball a huge decrease in camber. I used to drift, so I know what -3 or -4 camber looks like, and my truck doesn't have that.

Brotatochips

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did see the bushings mentioned on a 4/5" drop kit thread and thought the camber offset from a 2/3" drop might be negligible but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the info and heads up on the rear shocks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals