• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Max runout on rotors?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a warped rotor on the front of my 05. I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but what's the maximum runout to have them turned? Rotors are $50 each at carquest, if I can just get them turned down it should save me a few bucks.

Is there anything else that I should check out while I have it apart? Any surprises on these new trucks?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Depends. The newer vehicles seem to run tight specs. I've seen some down to .001in and others around .005. If you have .005 or more get them turned as long as you have enough material left. From what I have found out you can just start to feel warped rotors around .003in and it gets worse from there. Any local auto machine shop will have to specs, if you are past .005in they are warped. If you can find any one let me know I will call out to my buddy's place and get a spec for you.

Matt

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whether or not you can have them turned is a function of thickness (after resurfacing), not TIR. You can approximate it by putting your mic in the deepest groove.

There is no maximum thickness from the factory or whatever, and even if there were, the runout is a small fraction of total wear most of the time.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
I can look tomorrow, tuesday. I have a spec book with basically every vehicle in it. Your should be there.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
It says discard at or over 14 which is the code for STAMPED ON DRUM apperantly. So it should say it on the drum. FYI the front min machining is .988 and discard at or over .984. Hope that helps.
ps lug torque 100 ft lbs.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just put new rotors on. It is brakes after all.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On the '98-up Rangers and the '95 up explorers the rotors practically fall off once you get the caliper bracket out of the way, so there is no excuse to avoid turning them if they are thick enough or simply buying a new set and having the old ones turned for next time and you KNOW there WILL be a "next time"

AllanD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals