• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

matco vs snap on

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, so for us in the trade, who likes what brand and why? I've been buying more and more matco stuff because of the better deals and well, the dealer is better to bargin with. We at the shop have never delt with matco befor but the quality seams to be top notch. Whats everyone elses opinion? Im just working on building my tool collection for work/home.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer Snap On tools. The fit and finish is awesome. I bought a KRL Series box and it's been great so far. I also like SK and Mastercraft Maximum stuff. I have never used Matco but we don't have a Matco dealer in my area so warranty would be a problem.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have lots of Mac tools, bought used. I've bought quite a bit of Snap-On, but we don't have a Matco dealer here either. I like Mac, but all I have is a Snap-On dealer so I don't get much choice.....My Mastercraft Maximum 9/16 wrench is almost a 5/8", lol.

-andrew

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've got more Matco than Snap-On tools, too, for the same reasons you mention. Matco tool quality, in my opinion, is as good as Snap-On and the service behind them was always as good or better.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad used to be big into Matco until the dealer quit, now he has to set off for replacements... but he just broke his first wrench probably two years ago, and it was probably 25 years old... working in a ag repair shop it did pretty good.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, all my and tools at mastercraft max'. I cant justify paying 300 bucks for a small set of wrenches..maybe some day tho. Some day. Our matco dealer is new to the area, he has a massive rout, too bad it doesnt reach out as far as you. Some guys at work has SK stuff and they have issues getting warrenty cuz' theres no easy acess dealer. IR makes like 90% of matco's tools. hows that turbo swap going?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, i have started to notice that the mastercraft wrenchs dont fit like the top notch brands. Ive sliped the odd time and sprung the odd leak. Im in an AG/compact construction shop so our tools get some tuff action some days.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I buy my tools at the pawn shop.

stockfornow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am running a small craftsman set. the reason i like them is the ease of getting a new tool if one breaks. just go to your nearest sears

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most of my tools are Craftsman, relatively cheap, and like said above, easily replaced.

I worked with everything from knock off chinese aluminum, to matco and Snap-On all summer long. It depends what was cheapest and available, and with all of the tools I used and different brands each one made just as good a hammer as the next! But thats the way it goes on a ship.

I like Craftsman for the home though.

99ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a little of it all in my set. SK. snap on, matco and mac. and of course good old craftsman. i get most of my snap on and sk at flea markets. being in high school still i cant afford to buy new sets of the high end stuff.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have all snap on and craftsman. the snap ons are really nice, but i always seem to buy more craftsman , when i brake one i take a 15min ride and have a new wrench and they are not badley priced. WILL NOT BUY JAP CRAP, busted my knuckles one to many times with those bad boyz.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
snap on.mac,matco,cornwell are great tools if there in your budget,but there only as good as the dealer.
i love the snap on flank drive x-long open/box end.i agree..pawn shops,flea market's are great places to pick up deals on the high end stuff.mastercraft isn't bad either.
i've had great luck with stanley stuff from the dreaded walmart.had a set of sockets and ratchets for over 7 years and haven't broke any of it yet.you get alot of bang for $100 and under.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I Own a variety of tools. None of them are harbor freight brand or any of that crap. The majority of mine are craftsman and snap-on. I personally like my snap-on stuff more than the craftsman. They seem to grip better and not slip as easy. We only have a snap-on dealer at my shop otherwise i would probably try mac or matco. ALL of my air tools are IR. Snap-ons cost to much and my IR air gun out-performed a brand new snap-on top of the line air gun. I won't own any other air tool.

jvs8864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
being a mechanic i hav to oder new tools almost evry 3 months....

most of them are snap on, but i have a 60% percent discount for both mac and snap on, im actually gunna post a thread offering my discount to others
i have a few select mac tools, ive noticed their shipping system is better then snap on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals