• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

matco vs snap on

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Craftsman, SK, and WRIGHT tools, http://www.wrighttool.com/

Klein Tools http://www.kleintools.com/

and Crescent tools...

There really isn't a "be all end all" brand, each company has their strenghs and weaknesses.

We absolutely LOVE the OLD "industro" tools, but as they say, "they don't make them like that anymore"

Last edited:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
why do you need new tools every 6 months? what are you doing to them lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
being a mechanic i hav to oder new tools almost evry 3 months....

most of them are snap on, but i have a 60% percent discount for both mac and snap on, im actually gunna post a thread offering my discount to others
i have a few select mac tools, ive noticed their shipping system is better then snap on...
My dad is a mechanic, most of his tools are older than I am.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
well I know I will be flamed for this, But now most of my tools at this time are Pittsburg tools (aka harbor freight crap). at the point I bought it I seemed to be stripping out my craftsman rachetts both 3/8 and 1/4. about once every two months and cracking the sides of sockets especialy the 10mm and 8mm. So I went down to harbor and bought 160 piece set for $70, upgraded my rachets to the pros. and I have not had a single problem with them in over a year. plus they also have the lifetime replacement like the craftsman. so let the flaming begin.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i prefer snapon alot i tried some matco, but was quickly turned off by them when we got a new rep, he would come into the shop and talk shit about you tools, your choice of box and so forth, and that made it kinda hard to want to buy from when you tells you your snapon box is junk and his box thats the same size but 600 more is better same with tools too. just my .02

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
At my shop we have a Matco, Snap-On, and Mac dealer that come around once a week.

I've bought stuff from both Matco and Snap-on, and both are good quality tools. I like Matco's composite impacts, they're beasts. Easily the most powerful gun in the shop besides the huge 1" my boss bought awhile back. But mine is incredibly loud.

Snap-On makes excellent sockets/wrenches/torx bits, etc etc.... but their price is through the roof. I own a set of Snap-On 12-point wrenches, 6-point sockets, and a complete set of Torx bits (minus the T60 bit, though). All of them are top-notch and are incredibly hard to make slip, but again, expensive.

Right now Mac seems to be the superior Tool for me, as they have the same lifetime warranty that Matco and Snap-On does, but their prices are far lower most of the time. For instance...my Snap-On Torx bits cost me $272...the same thing from Mac only runs $129. Same warranty and everything. Mac's impacts are also top-notch. Good power, and they are far quieter than Matco/Snap-On powerhouse composites.

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
S/K, cornwell, craftmans, snap-on, ect.

I have a mixture of stuff like stanley, k/d, ect... These are what I use when I go up to pick n pull, if I lose something it's not a big deal.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Right now, most of my tools are either Mastercraft (maximum) or Snap-on. I'm working on switching most of my Mastercraft tools to Snap-on. I have easy access to Snap-on, Mac, and Mastercraft. I like Snap-on because of the finish the tools have, they just seem to have the best, and most precise fit. I like Snap-on better then Mastercraft, as the quality is well worth the difference in price. I do also like Mac better then Mastercraft, for the same reasons. Mastercraft for me was a good starting point, and then after I switch my tools over, I'll have a respectable set for home. I prefer Snap-on over Mac just for the fact that my Snap-on dealer is more reliable then my Mac dealer. My Snap-on guy is there ever Wednesday at 11, or at 3 depending on the way he does he rout. My Mac guy is there whenever he feels like it, usually ever fifth or sixth Friday. I'd prefer to Snap-on just for the fact that if I need something, or if I need to replace something I know exactly when I'll be able to get it. If I call him, he'll even be there that day or the next day. If I call My Mac guy, he'll be there when he feels like it.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
well I know I will be flamed for this, But now most of my tools at this time are Pittsburg tools (aka harbor freight crap). at the point I bought it I seemed to be stripping out my craftsman rachetts both 3/8 and 1/4. about once every two months and cracking the sides of sockets especialy the 10mm and 8mm. So I went down to harbor and bought 160 piece set for $70, upgraded my rachets to the pros. and I have not had a single problem with them in over a year. plus they also have the lifetime replacement like the craftsman. so let the flaming begin.
I find no name tools from China to be absolutely JUNK!

I got a 10mm open end wrench that is flirting with 11mm! Talk about loose tolerances.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've got a set of Mac tools I bought in 1969. Still going strong. Got a 1/4 in set of Snap-on sockets. I ruined the 1/4 in socket repairing an old camper. Got some from Home Depot and Lowes. Can't complain about any of them. I prefer tools that don't shine. shiny tools draw unwanted attention.

jvs8864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
why do you need new tools every 6 months? what are you doing to them lol
lol not that im breaking them, but the demand for different tools where i work is ever growing....

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer Snap On tools. The fit and finish is awesome. I bought a KRL Series box and it's been great so far. I also like SK and Mastercraft Maximum stuff. I have never used Matco but we don't have a Matco dealer in my area so warranty would be a problem.
I agree, snap on for the good stuff and mastercraft for the cheap stuff. I REALLY REALLY like my snap on air hammer! best $400 i ever spent!

Guys at work joke around that i use it so often, that i would use it to change a light bulb.

Last edited:

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
Matco makes good tools but you have to worry about whether there will be a rep if you switch shops. With Snap-on you will probably have a rep wherever you go.

rangernotlifted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jetta,explorer,
Transmission
Manual
Blue point its snapon but its amazing

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use craftsman and cornwell tools but i noticed a while back that some craftsman tools are being made in china now, kinda depressing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals