• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mastercylinders,ranger vs F150

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys, so, I finaly got my drive train back togeather. I used a slave cylinder for an F150 and the master cylinder for a ranger. Its like 98% full releases the clutch when fully depressed. Is there that much a difference between the master cylinders? I need to get this stuff working so I can teach the lill laydy how to drive a stick

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
bump, come on guys, I need some input . I was told by somone on hear that it would work, but Its not working so well.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, I KNOW Im not the only one out there who has done this, no one has any idea's?

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I swapped from auto to stick on my Ranger I checked out various clutch master cylinder specs and found that there are many different masters that were used.

The main difference is the piston diameter which determines how much fluid is sent to the slave when the clutch pedal is pushed. If you are not getting enough slave travel a master cith a slightly larger piston bore would give you extra travel.

Not having the air 100% removed when bleeding will also result in less than 100% travel, but that usually improves over time as the truck is driven.

One other thing to check is that you have the correct master cylinder push rod; too short a rod will greatly reduce effective slave travel. Hope this helps you.:icon_cheers:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, well....I guess I should have mentioned Im a heavy equip' tech,so, I already knew the therory behind how the system works. I DID however lengthen the mater cylender push rod which helped a small amount. All the air is out of the system. You said you checked out the specs for master cylinders? where did you find this info? If i can get a look at it I might just be able to make this work. Thanks
Matt

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you get on rockauto.com and just browse through their catalog they will list the different bore sizes. They list the same slave cylinder part number for a 94 f150 with a 5 speed as a Ranger.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what year of ranger? im using an external slave cylinder, so if the 94 f150 lists the same part # then They must have changed them to an internal one like the ranger. I need a master that will work with an external slave cylinder

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok, found a little bit of info from that site...it lists a master cylinder for a ranger with a 7/8" bore, which is the same as a F seriese, then, it lists one for the same year ranger with a 3/4 bore. Obviously i need the 7/8" one, but, did they just eff somthing up? if any idea if the stroke of all the cylinders is the same?

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Didn't realize you were using an external slave, and I looked up a 94 for both.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, the F150 runs an external slave in those years. I needed to know about the master cylinder, not the slave...anywho, I might be able to get this working. If the specs on the slave cylinder for an 89 are right, then its a bit larger then the one for a 93. 3/4"s of an in vs 5/8"s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals