• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Master Cylinder worn out!

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At 318K miles, I had the classic 'air in the lines' feel to the clutch pedal, complete with almost 2 inches of soft pedal and poor pedal return. I found both the clutch pedal switch and master cylinder were shot. The return of the pedal is 'assisted' by the switch's internal springs as seen in the first picture.

I picked up a new switch and pushrod assembly at amazon for about $35. I got a really good price on the factory master cylinder assembly (part number 6L5Z-7A543-AB) for $105! It is pre-filled and pre-bled out of the box. I also got a spare @#!# retainer for $1.35 (part number 6C3Z-7A581-A). BTW, Ford calls it a 'special retainer' in the computer.

The whole job was 2 hours, 1 hour of fighting with the cold and wheel well liner. Plug and play, I didn't have to bleed the clutch at all. The fluid in the old master cylinder looked like mud and was full of silver metallic bits. Fluid was changed 2 years ago due to slave cylinder failure. The truck shifts better but as well as can be expected for the mileage......

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals