• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

master cylinder swap

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Long story short,
I swapped in some 60's under the old ranger, put half ton Chevy calipers on them, ran all new lines and hoses and had excellent brakes but the master cylinder blew out on me I THINK, so why not upgrade to something more powerful. I figure one from a 95 up explorer would do the trick do to the fact that they have 4 wheel disc brakes. Now, I see there are ones on autozone's website that say "with proportioning valve" and "without proportioning valve" I'm gonna take a guess and say I need one without pro valve because mine is on the frame, is it not? And, in general, will that master work? One year difference I cannot see why it wouldn't.
Thank you gentlemen.

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not one person knows?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take this for what it's worth as I'm not a 'mechanic' but self taught. If the master was working with the set up you have before blowing, I can't see why the same one wouldn't work again. As long as the master is providing the volume [and pressures] you need to push the pistons the distance you need then IMO there is no problem.
What do you mean by a more 'powerful' master? If you mean that it produces more pressure, then you will have a smaller bore in the master, and less volume and therefor less distance the piston moves at the caliper. Which may or may not be good, I haven't done this. One thing it might do is provide better 'feel' at the pedal because the pedal would move more for a defined brake force.
As far as proportioning valves, I thought they were for adjusting front/back braking. Adjustable proportioning valves,IMO, would be good to have for that reason.
Probably any master will work as long as you can mount it securely and has the properties [see above] that you need. There is a lot more to this than at first glance and I don't have the confidence in my knowledge to go any further.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in.
Good luck,

Richard

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i have the 1 1/8" piston master from the f-350 on mine (stock was 7/8"), bolts right on, i just needed to swap the lines from what came in mine (front line to rear, and vice-versa)

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Take this for what it's worth as I'm not a 'mechanic' but self taught. If the master was working with the set up you have before blowing, I can't see why the same one wouldn't work again. As long as the master is providing the volume [and pressures] you need to push the pistons the distance you need then IMO there is no problem.
What do you mean by a more 'powerful' master? If you mean that it produces more pressure, then you will have a smaller bore in the master, and less volume and therefor less distance the piston moves at the caliper. Which may or may not be good, I haven't done this. One thing it might do is provide better 'feel' at the pedal because the pedal would move more for a defined brake force.
As far as proportioning valves, I thought they were for adjusting front/back braking. Adjustable proportioning valves,IMO, would be good to have for that reason.
Probably any master will work as long as you can mount it securely and has the properties [see above] that you need. There is a lot more to this than at first glance and I don't have the confidence in my knowledge to go any further.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in.
Good luck,

Richard
Yes a more powerful master cylinder IE: one that produces more pressure that disc brakes require. I did say it worked perfect before it blew out but that was maybe for 10 minutes. I don't know the reason it blew out i just know that it did which is why I figure why not upgrade to something better. My proportioning valve is on the frame rail and not in the master cylinder, but when trying to select a master cylinder on auto zone online, it says WITH proportioning valve and WITHOUT proportioning valve, not really sure what they are referring to when they say that. I'm guess some explorers didn't have proportioning valves???

either way I'm just gonna put a stock ranger one back on since its 29.00 and see where it takes me, if it blows out, I'll know the problem and fix it thereafter.
thank you both.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals