• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MASSIVE coolant leak, help!

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i just got done doing an engine swap on my 91 ranger 2.3 and she runs beautifully, however it pissed out almost all my coolant in the minute that i let it run, i believe i've found the leak, its a canister next to my oil filter, i have no idea what to call it or how to fix it, but i have a picture of it- if somebody could please tel me what it is that would make the repair much easier, i wouldn't mind a few tips as well, thanks!

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it isn't coming from the hole between cyl 2 and 3? The canister in the pic is the oil separator it catches the oil so it doesn't suck it into the intake. Some lower intake manifold have a hole so coolant can run through them, i think it is the earlier ones that have the hole. Does your intake and gasket have a slotted hole like the head in the pic?

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I never had the intake off, i bought this motor out of a junkyard, it came out of an 89 ranger, I believe my old intake (which I did take off) did have a coolant passage through it, I'm less inclined to believe its that loose canister after talking to some of the other mechanics at work but nobody I know works on old stuff like this so they still have no idea where the leak is- are you saying there's a coolant passage throuh the intake and if so would that be something that just needs a new gasket?

Charles (in GA)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Its coming from a fitting in the head in that area. Connects with a short rubber hose to a tube that runs around the back of the head, and T's into one of the heater hoses on the right side of the valve cover.

To replace the metal tube, there is a molded rubber hose that is identical in shape and function.

Gates p/n 18305 and UPC is 42570355

Hose in pic is upside down. LH end in pic is intake manifold side. RH end of hose is basically straight and goes to the T fitting.

I have a very late '91 all original (built in June '91) and it has the bypass hose.

Charles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals