• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

massive amount of oil burn. HELP

92LiftedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1992 2.9 5 speed. When i start the truck up it had the usual lifter tick for about 20 seconds but now when it runs even just idling it burns oil. And it will sit there and run fine starts right up everytime. Also when I come to a hill it falls on its face and i get no power. I have stopped driving it now. The amount of oil being burned is nothing I've ever seen before. It will fill the whole cab up (side pipes) and smoke out a road. Any input will help. Another thing is I just had to replace the alternator and fuel pump and this oil problem happened immediately after not sure if that has anything to do with it. But any input will help. Thanks. :icon_thumby:

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
How many miles are on it?

92LiftedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
About 200k but ran strong then all of a sudden this happened.

jhammel85

Sounds to me like a compression test is in order..My only other advice would be that it's possibly the rings or possibly the valve seals but I doubt it.

So the burn oil (bluish smoke) is filling the cab too? It's exhaust not where its dripping from somewhere? It definitely internal to the engine?

92LiftedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
It is definetly internal the only reason It fills the cab is because of where my exhaust dumps out. Could it be a head gasket? I know if it was it would burn coolant but could this also have something to do with it? Also if the piston was damaged or melted and was letting oil get by or would it even havr enough compression to idle?

92LiftedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
So I finally got a compression test and have good compression on all cylinders. Now I'm thinking its the valves maybe seals or the guides. But not quite sure what to do from here. Any ideas?

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Since this happened all at once it's possible your PCV valve is stuck open....it sure would be nice if it is something simple like that.

92LiftedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Just replaced the pcv valve (wasn't sure if it was junk or not) but it did not fix anything. O don't think this is going to be any easy fix. But don't know where to go from here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals