• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Bad?

BuiltRangerTough04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger and the dealership said my MAF sensor was bad I was wondering how much power in my truck is reduced. I also burn excess oil and there is smoke coming out of my exhaust when i give it a lot of gas. The main question is am i losing a lot of power or not that much with this sensor going bad?

09ajmaros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
Many times the sensor is just dirty so I would try that first to see if it clears up.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the MAF sensor in your truck is THE sensor. without it, your computer can only make a best guess on how much fuel to add based on other engine perameters. with the MAF not functioning, you will loose power and fuel economy. long term use with a bad MAF can cause other, more serious problems such as excessive carbon build up, fouled plugs, melted cat converters, and so on.

the MAF sensor should not effect oil consumption though. what color is the smoke coming from the exhaust?

drifterawh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine went out FLAT wouldent pull its own weight. But would idle fine. Had it cleaned an ran better than ever. 2yrs later its bad again.time for a new one about $165.00

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
If you have excessive oil consumption it could be contaminating the MAF sensor due to blow-by. Look at the MAF if there is oil on it or nearby buying a new MAF would be a waste of money. Just keep cleaning the oil from the old sensor.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of your problems are due to the K&N air filter, and intake! There is no advantage to it, and only creates problems!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals