• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Manual xmission pedals

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recently picked up a '97 Ranger 5 speed. Should probably post a pic with this but it's dark right now. The throttle pedal is further from the other pedals than I've seen in other manuals, so it feels strange to drive. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't suppose the pedals are adjustable?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you reach down and the pedal has some free play at rest you can put some zip ties behind the spring at the top of the pedal that might help...

I'm probably just used to it, had my '90 for 23 years now? I can jump into it or the '97 Ranger or my '97 F350 and don't seem to have any problem with the brake pedal to throttle pedal gap... I don't go for the clutch pedal on either V8 explorer very often...

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool thanks, I was afraid that'd be the case. I'll try to get down there tomorrow to see if something is off, just really seems like the accelerator pedal is an extended distance from the other 2

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I know it's hard to tell in pics, but there's more than a fish's distance between the brake and accelerator. Didn't have time to work on it today. It looks like the throttle is really close to the firewall

Attachments

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I know it's hard to tell in pics, but there's more than a fish's distance between the brake and accelerator. Didn't have time to work on it today. It looks like the throttle is really close to the firewall
Ah I get what you’re talking about. That’s how they are I guess. My guess is so you don’t hit the gas while pressing brake. My work truck (Automatic) has enough brake travel, and is close enough to the throttle, that I occasionally end up revving the engine when braking. Makes for a really awkward stop.

xsaylr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ah I get what you’re talking about. That’s how they are I guess. My guess is so you don’t hit the gas while pressing brake. My work truck (Automatic) has enough brake travel, and is close enough to the throttle, that I occasionally end up revving the engine when braking. Makes for a really awkward stop.
Yeah I ended up adding 3 zip ties to remove all slack from the cable, it helped a bit. Guess I'll get used to it

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals