• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manual transmission wont go into any gear

rabhimself81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
So i replaced the clutch and pressure plate because the old one had split. We put the tranny back in and now we cant put it into any gear with the car on or off. if i wiggle the stick shift it seems to be in neutral but as i let the clutch out it starts going forward as if it was in gear. it also sounds like it seems to be grinding and i can hear it coming from the bell housing i think. any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you take the shifter off while the trans was in neutral? It could be that the shifter isn't in the right position in the trans when it was re-installed. Take the shifter off and using a long screwdriver, align everything in the trans so everything looks centered and one side is a mirror image of the other. Install the shifter, it should be in neutral now.
Good luck,

Richard

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD?
4X4?

The shift linkage is all internal so not much to go wrong on an R&R for clutch replacement, you could have mis-aligned shift forks as alwaysFlOoReD said.
Did the bell housing mate with the engine easily or did you have to force it closed with the bolts.
Maybe loosen up the bell housing and see if shifting works, drop the drive line as well and manually rotate output shaft and see if the frees up the shifter

Last edited:

rabhimself81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
its a 2wd and yes i took out the shifter out in neutral when i pulled the tranny and i looked inside the were the shifter goes and it doesnt look like mirrored so ill give your advice a whirl alwaysFlOoReD. and RonD we tried moving the truck back and forth and seeing if it would try to drop into gear but nothing happened and i didnt have to force it with the bolts it eventually slid in after jerking the tranny around for a bit. thanks for your help guys i will let you know if it works

rabhimself81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
so this is what im seeing down in where the stick shift should go, what should i be moving around

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not a tranny guy.....thank god! Bad jokes aside, you should be able to use a long screwdriver to slide the top of what you see that is on a round rail, one rail on each side. The screwdriver is taking the place of your shifter. You have to manipulate the tops of the forks[?] so both sides are centered in what you see. That is what I meant by a mirror image.
Clear as mud, right? Just keep trying until it pops into correct orientation. Also, you don't have to tighten down the shifter each attempt. It should shift without effort with the clutch engaged. You did bleed the clutch?
Good luck,

Richard

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you look down into the hole there's three machined slots.You can see one with the reverse spring on in the picture it I think anyway.When looking at the tranny end of the shifter you can see it's tip fits in the machined slots.Take a big screwdriver or whatever and put the machined slots all in the middle position they will click and stay there.Then they will form a pocket because there aligned and the end of the shifter goes in that pocket.From the picture it appears to be your problem.

rabhimself81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot guys that picture made things a lot easier to see what was wrong with mine, not that your descriptions didn't help but it's a lot easier to see then to describe. So now I can successfully go into all gears without a problem but I still hear a slight grinding type noise but my brother just thinks it's due to a lack of tranny fluid. When we emptied it it poured out about 4quarts worth and when I refilled it I was only able to put just over 3 in before it started to spill out of the fill hole. So he thinks now that I can shift gears it might have freed up some space to put more fluid in. I'm gonna try to add more and see what happens. He also thinks it could be the TOB but I checked it while I had the tranny out and it spun smoothly and made no noise. Any ideas? Thanks again everyone who has been helping me out its been very much appreciated

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So he thinks now that I can shift gears it might have freed up some space to put more fluid in.
Sorry but that made me laugh. The M5OD transmissions don't take much fluid at all. Around 3 quarts, i think its even less. Park the truck on level ground, pull out the fill plug, fill until fluid comes out the fill hole, and thats it, the tranny is full.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ONE thing to note.... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT FLUID (in caps for a very good reason...)

one version of a MANUAL takes ATF (Yes you read correctly), the other version takes 80-90

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals