• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual transmission swap problems

Seth_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So ive decided to take on the quest of a body swap from my 2008 ranger 2wd on to another 2008 but 4.0 automatic 4x4 and it ran and drove in the previous truck. Ive completed the swap but im running into problems with doing a manual transmission swap into said truck. I have changed any harnesses or the pcm. And the truck wont start. From what ive seen i need to splice the trs harness to trick the computer into thinking its in park so it will start. Is this correct? If so does anyone know which wires get connected together or have a pinout diagram?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The harness from the manual truck will have the jumper made into it. Do you know of anyone doing a swap like this and being successful without changing the computer and other pieces to match? Just asking, as I have my doubts it will work. It certainly won't be happy. I am just curious, I know the later in years you go, the more picky the computer systems are.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you swapped PCMS on a 2008 you probably pissed off the PATS sysm and need it reset. Or if possible swap the cluster from the same truck and try again.

Seth_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have swapped the pcms with the guage cluster and lock cylinder is all together so there should be no issues with the immobilizer

ive heard i just need to swap computers or get mine flashed but i have no clue where to go about doing that

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't have an 2008 diagram but here is the 2009 START circuit diagram, 2007 was the same

You need to connect the blue/grey wire to the Green/Orange wire(on DTR Connector) to pass starter signal(12volts) to starter relay
Make sure fuse #21 in cab fuse box is OK

You may also run into a Limited RPM issue, there is a 3,000rpm REV limiter when DTR shows Park or Neutral, but you can burn that bridge if it comes up, lol

You will notice the Clutch switch didn't pass the START 12 volts as it did on earlier Rangers, it is a ground/no ground to the PCM to show "neutral"
So the blue/grey wire to the Green/Orange wire should be a permanent connection

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you so so much for the diagram i had such a hard time finding it. Really appreciate the help boys. Ill try this today after work and come back here with results😁

Seth_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So ya. Still no start. The computer is fully aware it is in park. And it will shift into 4x4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals