• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmission Sputtering

Mrich1510

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I purchased my ‘84 Ranger a week ago and the guy told me the transmission was acting weird. So once I got the engine running, I took it for a spin and while accelerating in 1st, I noticed the truck completely loses power and when it regains power it sputters. 2nd gear is good until about 2000rpm then it starts to sputter, same goes for 3rd. Any ideas?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If the truck stops "pulling", and then you feel a "sputter" or "chatter" in the drive train (and not the engine) when it picks back up, it's sounding more like the clutch. Especially if the previous owner (PO) told you about the transmission acting weird with him.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It all depends on the definition of losing power, if the engine is running rough and vibrating with low rpm and no power that's different than low wheel speed and high engine speed like a slipping clutch would do.

I would lean more toward ignition or carburetor issues (more toward ignition), check the timing first.

The engine has no idea what gear you are in (forward, reverse or otherwise) and there's nothing in the transmission that can cause "sputtering" unless there's a missing tooth on a gear somewhere but then that would be cyclic and not happen in 3 gears unless it was between the input shaft and counter shaft which I don't think is common.

Mrich1510

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So when I say losing power, The RPMs are staying the same so the engine is functioning normally but it’s almost as if the transmission “disconnects” itself somehow and then grabs again.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
With a slipping clutch, wouldn't it be more noticeable when shifting as opposed to simply accelerating when in gear. When you disengage the clutch to shift, then re-engage does it take a minute to grab? Or does it "disconnect" after you have shifted and you are at a steady speed?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When you say the rpm stays the same, is that rpm way faster than it should be for that road speed in that gear? A slipping clutch might be hard to portray in words, if the clutch was slipping if say you were going like 10mph in first gear and shift to second then floor it, if the engine speed accelerates a fair amount and the vehicle does not increase in road speed and you let off the gas pedal and the engine speed drops back down and you don't slow down significantly

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
not sure I'm understanding what you're describing.
try a power & brake test, it's easy & cheap.

find an empty parking lot
1st gear, get it up to 2000 rpms and start applying the brake while giving it more gas to maintain 2000 rpms
speedometer and tach should remain the same or move together.
try 2nd gear too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals