• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual transfer case options

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure here maybe this has been asked before but Does anyone here know of a place that I can find an adapter to put a NP231 behind my AODE in my Ranger?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I don't know what the spline/shaft dimensions are, but I'm quite certain that they don't match. You're probably looking at a good 3-4" extension/plate/whatever that will go between the existing extension housing and the NP231. Then get a adapter with female Ranger splines on one end, and male NP231 splines on the other. I think Dana 300's did this? - I'm really not sure, it was an older t-case though.

Kits? I highly doubt it unfortunately. You'd be getting a program like Draftsight and going to your favorite local machine shop (probably many times if you haven't done design work before). If you want to pay a little more, you could have them figure out how to do it. It's simple, but time consuming, and still costly.

Is the goal to get a manual transfer-case? Ranger cases aren't that bad of a case otherwise, and only marginally less low-range ratio.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is just thinking out loud:

Jeep mounted Dana 300s and NP231s in CJ/YJ/TJ... all with 23 splines..

Advance Adapter made a AODE to Dana 300 (23 spline adapter) Part AA-50-2901.

I wonder if it would allow mounting the NP231... Or in my case NP 242OR (hybrid of 241OR + 242 to give me a full time box with LOW (4:1) low range; don't ask why. :) )

To find the Advanced Adapter as is is not in their current catalog.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
well my Ranger is running a 5.0L out of a 99 Explorer with the AODE or 4t70w or whatever they call that tranny. Lastnight did some more looking and i think i found the adapter i needout of a F-150 with the same tranny. From what i see it looks just exactly like the adapter that advanced adapters offers for the D300. Also you go to Advanced Adapters site and try to find that previously mentioned adapter and you can't find it on their site even thouht Poly Performance shows it from Advanced adapters.

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why are you considering a 231? Since Ford never used the 231 finding the right parts is difficult and/or pricey. I recommend either am NP208F or the BW1356, both will be a direct bolt in and can be found with fixed or slip rear yokes. My 5.0HO Ranger with and AOD had the NP208 and never gave a single issue. Whichever cases you choose I highly recommend replacing the input and output seals.

The only slight benefit to the NP231 and newer cases is the 6 pinion planetary gear, which is capable of handling more power and torque. Unless you're pushing over 400 lb-ft of torque at a low rpm you'll be well within the capabilities of the 208/1356. The usual fail points of and aluminum T-case is either the case halves or the chain, not the planetary.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Parts availablity is the main reason i and wanting a 231. Seeings how there is a big followin for jeeps and hence the 231, parts for them are all over the place. I am thinking from the pictures i have seen that the adapter for the 1356 is the same bolt patter as the 231. if it isn't then i know how to run a mill and make it work. Also since Jeeps run the 231 and i believe they also have narrow frame rails that would tell me the 231 is narrower to accommodate the Jeep. From what i understand putting the 1356 in a ranger is a chore also because there is only like a 1/4 inch of clearance between it and the drivers side frame rail. Those are some of my reasons for the NP231. If at any point my thoughtd or understanding are wrong please correct me.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
A popular Ford tcase swap on ranger based V8 swaps is the 4406 from newer F series trucks. They fit in the framerails with no mods. The 4407 (superduty cases) have fixed outputs and are starting to hit the junkyards. The 205 is stronger than any production case, and is the tightest package next to the ford dana 20. The 208 is a bolt in swap, and fits with no mods. I personally done three 205's, three 1356's (slip yokes), two 1356 (fixed yokes), two 4406's, one 4407, one 208, one atlas, and one 1356/dana 20 doubler. They're are cheaper options than the jeep cases. By the time you get the jeep case setup, you're probably looking at the price of an atlas, without the work...

SVT

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so if the NP208F is going to be my easiest way to go then give me the skinny on what I will all need to get this done in one day. This trck is my daily driver that i use to et back and forth to school. It HAS to be reliable and I have no time to be messing around with hick ups along the way. My main question here is do I have to change the output shaft in the tranny in my truck riht now or will I just be able to bolt up the appropriate adapter for the 208 and slide it into place. Driveshafts, what do I need there. Will my rear drive shaft still work as is?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NP 231 to 4R70W (Or AODE)

Derrick1970:

I struck pay dirt! :yahoo:

While searching for someone with the AODE to Dana 300 adapter available; I wound up contacting Kris at NorthWest FabWorks, http://www.northwestfab.com/.

He wouldn't sell me an AA solution but rather a NWF solution:

For a little under $300 including shipping and taxes, Kris sent me a replacement input shaft for my NP231 (or NP242 in my case).
Note 1: Your NP transfer case needs to be post '95 to have correct gears
Note 2: Your NP transfer case needs to have 6010N input shaft bearing.

With input swapped - transfer case has to come almost completely apart - the transfer case now bolts to my 4R70W. :icon_hornsup:

So, for less than 1/2 price of the AA - AODE to BW1354, I had a solution. And transmission didn't have to come apart (I feel comfortable rebuilding transfer cases; automatic transmissions - not so much), so add some additional savings. Sold the Explorer's BW4404 and Ranger's 1354 for more than price of NP231.
Note 3: 4R70W needs to be 4wd/awd model.

I splurged a little on the NP242 (output shaft solutions/6 pinion planetary), but the rest of my truck's drive train wasn't stock and I needed to do something about that anyways.

NP transfer case is same width as BW1354, so easily fits between rails of Ranger.
NP transfer case low ratio @ 2.72:1 is just a little lower than BW1354s of 2.48:1. (Really close to the 2.69:1 of the BW1356).
Sprockets in NP231 are ~40% larger than those of BW1354; technically same size as those in 1356 (I know BW1354's rarely fail from load, but extra capacity doesn't hurt given the 331 under hood has ~50% more torque than 4.0 did/4R70W 1st is lower than 5R55E/Low ratio is lower - max torque is almost double).

:beer:

Don

Attachments

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
don4331 that is absolutely awesome. I am so sorry I didn't reply to this sooner but I completely lost track of this thread. Would you happen to have the part number for that input shaft they sent you. Seeings how I just got a dana 30 out of a 2001 Grand Cherokee putting a 231 in my truck will solve a drive live issue for the front.

NEALD

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Same swap here. Can you post the part # of the input gear? Also is it a standard part or is it a custom piece? I'm also assuming the jeep transfer case and ford transmission have the same 6 bolt pattern?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals