• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual to Power Door Conversion

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I got the OEM electrical harnesses and switches for power locks and windows for my '93. I got the lock actuators too, but i might end up buying them new with the window regulators/motors just for extra confidence they won't break in the future. I believe my ranger already has dash wires to connect both sides, but i haven't examined the connections to verify. My truck already has power mirrors, so i'm assuming it does.

Question: What else would i need for the conversion? Does anyone have tips from their own experience to share?
I didn't see an article for both conversions in the article section, or one that relates to my year.

Also, what brands for the actuators, and regulators/motors do you recommend? Where can i find a manual crank cover, or one that looks like a speaker grille (so it looks intentional)?

Thanks for the help!

MrGearhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕕
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 2 cents..... I personally would find someone parting out a truck with power and buy the doors. Everything could be just swapped into your doors. That would be sooooo much easier and cost effective.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
My 2 cents..... I personally would find someone parting out a truck with power and buy the doors. Everything could be just swapped into your doors. That would be sooooo much easier and cost effective.
Easier, probably, cost-effective, most likely, but then i'd have to wait for someone with power doors to part out and there's no guarantee in how much life, if any, is left in the door lock actuators and window regulators. I did more research and i just needed those pieces of hardware and I bought them new. That way i won't have to worry about changing any of them out in the near future.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year is the Harness from?

I may have a wiring diagram for it, so you can see what each color wire is for.

There are a few relays needed to do "factory" conversion, but doing a working conversion can be done easier

And will you want Keyless entry now or at some point down the road?

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
What year is the Harness from?

I may have a wiring diagram for it, so you can see what each color wire is for.

There are a few relays needed to do "factory" conversion, but doing a working conversion can be done easier

And will you want Keyless entry now or at some point down the road?
It's a 93, same year as mine. I too have the wiring diagram from my EVTM, and this harness has everything i need. My Ranger already has the connecting harness in the dash, so wiring-wise it's plug and play. The relays and fuses are also taken care of.

I do want keyless entry, and i was also looking into the security system as discussed in the other thread. The kit i bought F3AZ-19A361-A seems to include keyless entry so i believe I'm good there.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Darn - just saw this today...we just finished swapping regulators in one of my Rangers - could have taken pictures..

This is actually pretty good write up:

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/power-windows-and-locks-installation/

I pulled door off as I found it "safer" to work on the tailgate with door horizontal than fight with glass and regulator at same time.
Ideally, the power windows are down a little so you have some slack to play with.​

Large rivet gun to install new rivets.

I installed the power regulator and locks and reinstalled the door before I worried about electrical - the big thunder cloud closing had something to do with it...

p.s. Power mirrors does NOT equate to wiring for power locks/windows. There is a different GEM with the associated wires, and relays in dash for power locks/windows (Or at least there was for my '98s) so I needed to add all the pieces in the dash and getthe appropriate GEM.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Darn - just saw this today...we just finished swapping regulators in one of my Rangers - could have taken pictures..

This is actually pretty good write up:

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/power-windows-and-locks-installation/

I pulled door off as I found it "safer" to work on the tailgate with door horizontal than fight with glass and regulator at same time.
Ideally, the power windows are down a little so you have some slack to play with.​

Large rivet gun to install new rivets.

I installed the power regulator and locks and reinstalled the door before I worried about electrical - the big thunder cloud closing had something to do with it...

p.s. Power mirrors does NOT equate to wiring for power locks/windows. There is a different GEM with the associated wires, and relays in dash for power locks/windows (Or at least there was for my '98s) so I needed to add all the pieces in the dash and getthe appropriate GEM.
Haha oh well that could of helped for sure.

I've read the article, just wasn't sure how that differs for a 1993 besides wiring.

Thanks for the tool suggestions, i'll definitely get one of those!

I have the EVTM for my year so i've studied it and it's really only a few wires connecting both doors, besides whatever leads to the fuse box. I checked my connectors and the associated wires are there, so it'll be plug and play for me as far as wiring goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals