• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual to Automatic conversion in conjunction with 5.0 swap

Dirt Rooster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm an aircraft mechanic, don't really know much about vehicles and their compatibilities. I am planning to do a 5.0 swap into a ranger this year. I already have a great donor 2000 explorer with 4wd I am going to be using. While on the lookout for a ranger to buy, I came across a 1999 4wd that's in great shape. Only problem is it's a 5 speed and my explorer is an automatic. My question is to do with how much extra work would be required or what parts I would need that wouldn't be able to be sourced from my explorer. As one of my main priorities for this project is convenience, I'd like to stay as close to "plug and play" as possible. Therefore, I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to just hold off until an automatic ranger shows up.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just remember that 98 and newer Rangers are Dana 35 SLA type front end... while 97 back to 93 (Gen 3) use Dana 35 TTB front end.

Be sure you even start with the right truck.

Dirt Rooster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is a lot of additional information I didn't have before. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only thing different would be no column shifter in a manual Ranger, you could use a universal floor shifter in place of the stick shift, the automatic is a cable shift, not linkage, so pretty easy to do that

You will use the Explorer computer and engine/trans wiring harness, so Ranger automatic wiring would be removed in any case

You will want a 1999-2003 Ranger 4x4 automatic so the steering column has the transceiver(key reader) needed with the 2000 Explorer computer and PATS module(above glove box)
Also need Explorer keys that came with it and have the Ranger ignition lock re-pinned or the Explorer keys re-cut

BUT, thread here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/explorer-tilt-cruise-steering-column-swap-147869/

Says Explorer column can be swapped into Ranger, so that would cover all the bases, for shifter and PATS matching keys

Dirt Rooster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If the explorer column can be swapped into the ranger that would be completely awesome. However I am really digging the idea of the shifter staying on the floor. Would be cool. Those are some good tips, thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatic clusters have an OD OFF light, I would think the ICON is there on Manual cluster but no bulb
And I would think the wire to the computer is there as well, C214 pin 1, as all Rangers are wired for tachometer whether they have one in the cluster or not, so I would think the OD wire is there as well

OD(overdrive) can be turned off, usually only for towing
With Key on computer always resets to OD on, so no light
There is a button on the end of the column shifter called the Transmission Control Switch(TCS) but every one calls it the OD ON/OFF button, lol
Its a momentary contact button, not an on/off button

You can locate a momentary contact button anywhere you want, its just a key on 12v wire and a wire back to computer
When computer gets momentary 12v on that wire it toggles to opposite setting, so if OD was ON it changes to OD OFF and light on dash comes on, if it gets momentary 12v again it changes to OD ON and light goes off
Easy to add this

As unoften as this button is used by most people, it can be loacted any where within reach of the driver

The OD OFF light also acts as a "Check Transmission Light", i.e. it will flash if computer detects a problem with transmission and/or it has set a Transmission code(OBD2), P07XX
So good to have a working OD light, even if you don't have the button, lol

Nothing to do with operation of a V8 in a Ranger, as said OD is always set to ON, default
But a good add once its up and running

Lanciadave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you want to end up with an AT 5.0 and AWD? or a 5spd?
Which parts really matter to you?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals